Pushin through hard times.

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Pushin through hard times.

Postby Zipfelzeus » Mon May 15, 2017 10:25 am

Willlake wrote:yo zip! i like the forest study you did a lot :) keep going man!

Thanks Willake! I'm trying to up my forest game haha.

Gosh... I don't even want to talk. Here are some updates. Studies, warm ups and some sketchbook pages.
Attachments
study p1.jpg
study p1.jpg (41.49 KiB) Viewed 65 times
quickies1.jpg
quickies1.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 65 times
sketchies1.jpg
sketchies1.jpg (119.95 KiB) Viewed 65 times
sketchies2.jpg
sketchies2.jpg (126.74 KiB) Viewed 65 times
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Enydimon » Mon May 15, 2017 8:42 pm

I really like that goat/ram dude on that last sheet.

Regarding the painting from the last page, I wonder what would happen if you organized your detail and non-detailed portions.
zipfelzeusPO.jpg
zipfelzeusPO.jpg (117.19 KiB) Viewed 59 times

I didn't do a whole lot of altering on this, just a bit of cleaning up on some of the brush strokes on her skin. I understand she's meant to look really dirty and grungy, so this may or may not work specifically for what you're going for.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that instead of everything having a lot of busy brush strokes all over, what if you had areas that had less texture or rendered detail? Maybe even patterns like detail - simple - detail, or simple - detail - simple. It might make things pop out more and easier to read.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Zipfelzeus » Fri May 19, 2017 7:02 am

Enydimon wrote:I really like that goat/ram dude on that last sheet.

Regarding the painting from the last page, I wonder what would happen if you organized your detail and non-detailed portions.
I didn't do a whole lot of altering on this, just a bit of cleaning up on some of the brush strokes on her skin. I understand she's meant to look really dirty and grungy, so this may or may not work specifically for what you're going for.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that instead of everything having a lot of busy brush strokes all over, what if you had areas that had less texture or rendered detail? Maybe even patterns like detail - simple - detail, or simple - detail - simple. It might make things pop out more and easier to read.

It is so hard to go back to ball point pen after you had several weeks of digital drawing with the wonderful undo button.

Yeah I get what you mean. I think it all goes together with what you said last time. My brushstrokes aren't well organised and I tend make to many tiny brushstrokes in places where detail really isn't need. I tend to render for the sake of rendering. I need start thinking more about where detail is nescessary and important and where it takes away from the image as a whole. Also colors, anatomy and so on... blah blah. I really want to learn this though. It has always been a skill I so admire. I don't need to be photorealistic artist but this good sense of lighting, edges and detail distribution is somethin I really like to achieve. I'll check out some artist's video how they approach these kinda topics. I think videos can be helpful if you don't look a them with a the hope they'll teach you how to paint haha.

Anyway quick updates, because I'll forget it on the weekend. Warm ups, sketchbook pages and a digital drawing.
Attachments
quickies2.jpg
quickies2.jpg (105.23 KiB) Viewed 50 times
quickies3.jpg
quickies3.jpg (115.83 KiB) Viewed 50 times
sketchies3.jpg
sketchies3.jpg (132.87 KiB) Viewed 50 times
drawing1.jpg
drawing1.jpg (71.34 KiB) Viewed 50 times
Zipfelzeus
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Previous