Elderscroller´s undead sketchbook of the damned

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Elderscroller´s undead sketchbook of the damned

Postby Elderscroller » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:28 am

arobro wrote:Were your last sketches drawn in pencil? I really love the value range and how dark the shadows look so I was wondering what sort of pencils you used? And I enjoy your ballpoint sketches! I agree they're fun to use and can really force you to be careful with your lines.

Thanks! Yes they were drawn in pencil, but I also adjusted the contrast a bit in Photoshop because my scanner washes out the values too much, but also to bring out the darks more as you can´t go to a dark black with pencils, even when using an 8B. So the darks in the dudes right sleeve would be about the value of his left sleeve shadow when you look at it in the sketchbook. A dark like that would only be possible to do with charcoal, which I like, but it needs to be fixated on a finished drawing, not friendly for on the move... So essentially, the value range in reality would be one step higher (on a scale from 1-10)
I usually start with HB pencil, switch to 2B to darken and put dark accents with 6B or 8B
Elderscroller
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby arobro » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:57 am

Aah I see! Thanks for taking the time to talk about your process. I agree, I find charcoal a bit cumbersome so I'm more attracted to graphite. I look forward to seeing more of your drawings.
arobro
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Elderscroller » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Even if this forum will be dead soon and most likely everything will be deleted, I´ll keep posting here till judgement day...

The painting sketch below was done in watercolour and gouache. I first applied a watercolour wash, establishing the colour palette, going darker with watercolours as the next step and finishing with gouache. I want to do more practice sketches with gouache as it is a nice medium that can even be reactivated with water after some time.
I´m also planning to do more plein air with it. I always admired James Gurney´s homemade sketch easel, so I´m trying to build one myself. Frankly not an easy task where I live, as the components are partially hard to come by as it turned out....Spent a week looking online and ordering as our local homestores really have no clue at all what I´m talking about when I want a tee nut 1/4 inch or a torque with adjustable friction.....

768.jpg
768.jpg (488.25 KiB) Viewed 60 times

769.jpg
769.jpg (481.24 KiB) Viewed 60 times
Elderscroller
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Previous

Return to Sketchbooks