Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby forrestimel » Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:06 pm

Luna thanks :)

So here's what I did today and yesterday yay! The Earth Elemental thing isn't quite done yet, but definitely will be done by tomorrow :)

forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby homerid » Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Solid sketchbook man, the study notes thing looks really helpful, when I study theory I tend to remember it way better if I write it down, but never tried applying the method to paint practice, going to change that asap.
That Earth Elemental looks freaking sick, I really liked seeing the specific studies you did to push the quality of the piece, just keep going.
ps- I lol'd a bit at "rocks are hard"
homerid
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Luna » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm

Really Nice study! Thank you so much for all your notes there!! o(∩_∩)o
I just wanna say you are awesome!!!
x
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby forrestimel » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:33 pm

homerid Thanks :) And taking notes is incredibly helpful, I can't recommend it enough

Luna No Luna. You're awesome <3

Finished the Earth Elemental, very happy with the turnout, however not fully satisfied. I know I can do better if I push myself to do better. So tomorrow will be spent figuring out what the hell my next illustration will be because alas, I still have no client work :(

forrestimel

Postby matthew » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:54 am

That one is cool :)
The different layers of depth look a bit pasted together to me. That's probably because the foreground, middle ground and background
are stacked in front of each other on three separate planes but we can hardly see how they connect. And I think the pose of the rider
could be improved to enhance the composition. At the moment she looks a bit detached. Keep posting!
matthew
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby milch » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:24 pm

ohhh that last one turned out really awesome! yeah matthew is right about the pose, her arms look a bit loose, without any energy.. i'm bad explaining :'D
but even if you just leave it as it is, it's super cool and you can be proud
milch

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:56 pm

matthew I see what you mean with the girl and the layers, I should probably have had some parts in there to help the transition of depth, I'll keep that in mind for this next one :)

milch thank you :)

So I am working on my next illustration, gettin pumped. Ready to start the study train back up. Gonna try to make some more time to doodle at the start of my day just to help apply my studies to things that aren't so finished looking. I think it'll help keep the information in my head easier if I apply it instantly to not just one but two things. So more painting! :D

forrestimel

Postby squasar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:29 am

hey man! those last illustrations are looking great! just keep working on the anatomy and maybe try pushing color a bit further
gotta say your study method is really interesting and it's definitely working for you.you are improving very well! I want to try doing similar studies to yours,so thanks for giving me the motivation to do that!
cheers!
゚✧Sketchbook✧゚

Tumblr
Deviantart
Portfolio
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Kitty Sincula » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:06 am

maaan, your dedication is crazy! how can you be so motivated and productive? i envy u so much
you surely are learning a lot, keep it up! gg
Kitty Sincula

Postby spacecadet » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:12 am

Those flames! So cool :O
Good job with pretty much everything so far, I love your newest illustration and the armour studies! I don't really have much critique except that it looks like a lot of the background objects (such as the buildings and trees and things) in your illustrations are rendered out and very sharp which can distract from the main focus of the image. Maybe try leaving in a few brush strokes to the stuff in the background? Like the picture on the first page of the purple-eyed guy on the creepy skull throne is a good example, haha

But keep at it! Your stuff is awesome :D
spacecadet

Postby forrestimel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:15 pm

squasar thanks :) Yeah I've been lacking on my anatomy studies so I'll be sure to make time for some this week, thanks!

Kitty Sincula It's not motivation really, it's just kinda doing it ha. But thanks :)

spacecadet I agree! I've been thinking of doing some studies of movie screencaps to get an idea of just how blurry things should/could get in the background, you have successfully motivated me! Thank you!

So I wanna start this thing where at the end of every week I gather all of my paintings and studies and junk and I post them all together to see how much I really got done in one week. This week was a good start but I know I can do more! If you wanna see all of the images at their full resolution you can go here:

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... 1405231058

In an Art Shell - Week 1

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:30 am

Very nice new study! This time your fire and fire man are very cool!
I also quite like your armor sketch as well! ^_^
Luna

Postby forrestimel » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks Luna :)

So I haven't done as much as I would've liked over the last two days. Had a thunderstorm yesterday so I couldn't draw for the majority of the day but hopefully I'll make up for it later in the week. For now I've been doing thumbnails for my next illustration, been trying to do them in only 4 values like what it says to do in Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis. Also been thinking about how I layer the values and what works best and junk. And I've been doin it all with Eytan Zana's brushes which are really cool to work with :)

I'm going hiking tomorrow so not sure if there will be an update, we shall see!

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 am

Got too lazy to post last night cuz I got home late, so heres a morning post. And I will be sure to have another big dump of stuff later tonight because I'm goin hardcore today! :O

More thumbs and studies :)

Sorry for crappy camera phone quality :/

WIP of my next illustration

forrestimel

Postby matthew » Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:20 pm

Oh yes, hardcore! I like hardcore. My expectations are up. :D
Nice fire studies. I never saw anybody do as thorough preparations as you...
matthew

Postby forrestimel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:45 am

phew! Today has been rough, here's what I've done :D The illustration still isn't done, should be able to finish it tomorrow though :)

forrestimel

Postby Aliciane » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:36 pm

I have really nothing interesting to say, except that you rule :D

Your notes are extremely interesting; your studies are always extremely thought and carefully done; you never seem to "rush" anything, you're really thinking when you're doing things and it shows :)

You're among my top inspirational artists, as well for the quality of the pieces you produce as for your extremely dedicated and organized methods. Please keep it up !

That last illustration is looking awesome :D though I feel that the fire in the foreground is looking a bit too "yellow" and is lacking some of the oranges and reds your studies had.
Aliciane
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby forrestimel » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:05 pm

Aliciane Thank you so much :) You're too nice, and it's funny you say I don't rush because I was totally rushing with this last image ha. But smart rushing, making sure I had a decent amount of leftover time to correct it before my portfolio review today :) Also I made the fire in the back yellower so that the warmer colors would pop more in the foreground :P

So it's been another week down since I started my "In an Art Shell" thing on DeviantArt. So here's all I've done this week, including the finished illustration I've been working on and some doodles from my livestream today :)

Also, I got critiqued by Ryan Yee today since he was in town doing a card signing thing at my local hobby shop place. I feel good about how it went, the main thing he told me with his critique was to use photo reference (since I don't ever use any). I'm not sure if this is useful or harmful for me though as a developing artist. Will I learn quicker or slower by using reference in my images? I'm not thinking it's cheating or anything, I mean I use pictures and 3d in my images all the time, but that's experimenting with techniques. This directly affects whether I can apply my gesture/body language studies. Anyway, I'm going to try it out but still do my studies and only use the reference image if I get stuck or need a refresher, not constantly have it up. Do you peoples have any thoughts on this?

forrestimel

Postby Joelhladky. » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 pm

Yeah, I hear what you're saying about the reference thing. I will say this since I was emailing you a little while ago for help with the exact same thing I found that 3d ref can really eff things up. It's nice for getting closer to what you have in your head, but it's still not real. And when I tried drawing over top of my 3d mannequin everything felt forced since I was trying to stay true to the model. It actually constricted a lot of what I know naturally from being applied to the gesture. So... I got my cell phone out at took some reference shots. Really helped me since I learn kinesthetically (by doing/trial and error), being in the actual position and feeling my weight really helped me understand what I was doing on another level. Then I got a friend (my sister) to pose with a few props (bathrobe and a duffle bag) in the positions I wanted and a camera angle I was in control of. After that I frankensteined the pictures to get things niiice and goldielocks.

Ended up being a lot more satisfied and actually completely changed my pose from before since the one I generated in 3d didn't really work well in reality. After trying it out for myself it felt awkward and unnatural... exactly the way my overdrawings had been turning out!

I think when people try and mimic fire in a painting they run the risk of really flattening things out (I have this problem) but you've done a real nice job of keeping your forms. I think this is a direct result of all the studying you do. Just some thoughts. Either way looks like you're doing really good and really pounding out those studies! Nice job.
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby forrestimel » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Joelhladky Thanks for chiming in Joel, I know what you mean, it's just that usually if I'm not happy with a pose or something seems off I feel like I should study my way out, not look at a picture and be like "OHHHHHHHHHH..." I'd rather have the "oh" moment from my own self discovery while studying, but maybe I'm just lame :)

Here's some junk yay! I've been in a major art funk the last few days. Been pretty not happy with most things I create, it's weird but it actually helped to just write down the things that I wasn't happy about, not just with my art but with life in general. Then as I was writing it down and feeling like a whiny little emo kid a fly landed on my hand and in my head that fly was telling me in a deep black man's voice, "Shut the hell up and go draw." So I did and that art funk is over now :D LETS KICK SOME ART ASS!

forrestimel

Postby matthew » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:38 pm

forrestimel wrote:Also, I got critiqued by Ryan Yee today since he was in town doing a card signing thing at my local hobby shop place. I feel good about how it went, the main thing he told me with his critique was to use photo reference (since I don't ever use any). I'm not sure if this is useful or harmful for me though as a developing artist. Will I learn quicker or slower by using reference in my images? (...) Do you peoples have any thoughts on this?

I think its is important to do both, studies and practicing to apply what you studied from imagination/memory. I don't think it matters much if you
do the latter in your illustrations or in separate little "imagination studies".
In the end it comes down to what your goal is, I guess. If it is the result, creating as good portfolio pieces as possible, then using reference will
certainly help. If it is the process of learning as much as possible, you might want to stick to your approach without reference. Or a combination of
both.

I like the still life btw :)
matthew

Postby Luna » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 am

The reflection on the earphone is really nice! ^_^
And I agree with Matt said about the imagination studies.

your art is very very nice, just feeling have a step to be better -> more cleaned to have comical value!
....x
Luna

Postby forrestimel » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:45 pm

matthew That's pretty much how I'm approaching the thing, I will take references for the next image I do but just to try it out and see how I like it :)

Luna thank you :)

So today was kinda weird and cluttered, I would do art for a couple hours and then go do something else for another couple hours, yet somehow I did a good amount :P Including some fun experimenting with Dave Rapoza's style with some Samurai Champloo fan art :D

forrestimel

Postby Stephen H » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:33 am

Hey Forrest,
Thanks for advising I sign up here, I finally got a little sketchbook up.
Some great studies on here, I noticed you do some background studies and armour studies, these are things I need to work on!
When you show a colour palette in the middle of your work ( between your version and the reference ) are they colours you have colour picked or just eyeballed?
Keep up the great work :)
Stephen H
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Drew1404 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:41 am

Great stuff as always Forrest, you have one of the best attitudes to this that I've seen. I'll be honest with you and say that the cel shaded post of the guy is probably the best work I've seen from you. It reminds me a little of Dave Rapoza's recent style change, and that is no small compliment! It looks like you're exploring it further which is good to see, I really think it could be big for you! Also, to be a bit brutal here, I honestly hate the brush you use, have you ever thought about trying different brushes, you seem to have been using that one for ages. Just a personal thing, but it might be good to experiment!

Anyway, keep up the good work!

Edit - just read that you were indeed trying Dave's style. It looks great man :)
Last edited by Drew1404 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail"

Sketchbook : http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162
Drew1404
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby forrestimel » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:46 am

Decided to do a bit of streaming, click below if you care to join me and chat and stuff :)

>>STREAMING<<
forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:37 am

Stephen H Welcome to the forums man I'll be sure to drop by your sketchbook sometime soon :) And those colors I color pick to see how close mine were to the reference, that way I know what I need to go bolder on or maybe not go so bold on and stuff. I've made a lot of discoveries by doing that.

Drew1404 Thank you :) what brush are you talking about? Because I've used two now, a square one and a textured triangle brush. I'd love to try some others but there aren't a lot that I like to do lineart in. I'm mainly concerned on HOW I do the line art and not so much what I do it with right now but I'm always up for experimenting :)

Studying and starting to work out a final character design before I move into the final for my portfolio :) Really going to get serious about my faces so expect a lot of portraits and face studies in the near future!

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:46 am

Very nice design of the girl's pose and dress! ●▽●
And they look from a same family!
The gestures you did are for the movement, I really think that's a good thing to see draw in this way (no muscle) just the way of their moving pose!
:D
Luna

Postby forrestimel » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:47 pm

Gonna stream before posting my stuff for the night :)

>>STREAMING<<
forrestimel

Postby Uiriamu » Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:59 pm

Awyeah! Really neat stuff, great design. Gonna watch your stream. Keep the updates and studies coming, and also share more awesome notes through your work! :)
Uiriamu
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks