Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby Jarradl » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:40 am

yes for attack on titan!!!

i really like your work routine and ethic!
maybe sometimes consider fucking some shit up?
only if you feel like it :D

keep this gravy train going!

PS. i think i met you at the MB workshop in LA.. i look like the face in the avatar but with more head on the face
"If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate."

My Sketchboooook
Chazillah Aragah PidgeonWalk
Jarradl
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby JacobJanerka » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 am

Ah man, that Michael Hampton books is really great, breaks it down well. Is there a particular resource you're getting those clothing/armour stuff from or just random links through pintrest/tumblr?

awww yis keep pushin it.
JacobJanerka
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Kikindaface » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:56 am

Hey dude, nice sketchbook ! Maybe you should try to ass some randomness to your drawing, what i mean is that everything looks too perfect, the belt is describing a perfect circle, the hair are falling in a too perfect way, drapery is the same ! everything looks too perfect, which breaks the believability ! I hope what i say makes sense ! Keep it up !
Kikindaface
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm

@JarradL: Hey Jaarad yeah I remember you! (assuming the profile picture does you justice). And thank you, ha, I do sometimes fuck shit up. That's usually when I have time to doodle though :P

@JacobJanerka: God I know right!? It makes it all so much easier to understand. The last armor studies I posted were tumblr and pinterest searches for Game of Thrones armor but otherwise I mainly just search "armor" on Tumblr.

@Kikindaface: Not sure to take this badly or as a compliment that I make things too perfect ha. I know what you mean though, I'll work on it, thanks :)

Man I didn't post yesterday! So I've got some studies (been really happy learning all the stuff about forearms from Hampton's book!) and I've got some other junk and then I've got X men Elsa! :D

Oh and the architecture stuff is for client work I won't be able to show for a long time :/

forrestimel

Postby chazillah » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:20 pm

cool stuff, nice studies *_* keep working hard!
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby Jarradl » Thu May 01, 2014 12:22 am

Hey forest.. thanks again for leaving such a great reply on my SB..
I have a feeling that kikindface may felt that by "perfect" some things are looking static/symmetrical.. poses and faces and some parts of compostions.. i'll return and give a less vague shitty answer tomrrow.. i imust sleep now
"If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate."

My Sketchboooook
Chazillah Aragah PidgeonWalk
Jarradl

Postby Lambs » Thu May 01, 2014 12:30 am

All those notes are a concrete sign that you're really engaging with your study material. Awesome to see that kind of dedication!
Sheepy book of arts (sheep and sheep accessories not included)
Lambs
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby hickroward » Thu May 01, 2014 2:10 am

Fantastic work, love the study pages and you're obviously applying it too. Keep it up man!
hickroward
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby tukos » Fri May 02, 2014 5:16 pm

I've been admiring all of your postings forest. I've actually been taking more notes in my sketchbook, if even just a reminder to fix or look into something. And I actually find it pretty helpful. I've also been stealing some of your notes too, haha!
tukos

Postby Danarworya » Fri May 02, 2014 6:18 pm

I mis some rimlight in your work because you know.. pro
Danarworya
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby forrestimel » Sun May 04, 2014 8:20 pm

chazillah thanks :)

Jarradl Yeah that makes sense, I'll try and work on it :)

Lambs dang straight, thanks :)

hickroward will do! thanks

tukos Glad you've been getting something out of my notes ha, I find writing them super helpful.

Danar Fuck you Danar! Marvel 4ever!

Man I haven't been posting much, gettin ready for a con next week and been working on client stuff still. But I made time to work on more anatomy so yay! I really wanna get good at hands by next week D: Time to pump out the studies!

forrestimel

Postby zazulathi » Sun May 04, 2014 9:46 pm

Great studies! Keep pushing through them!
zazulathi

Postby Carmel » Mon May 05, 2014 11:41 am

I'm blown away by your approach to studying skin tones - Amanda Seyfried was very informative - simplifying the shadows for a clearer image! :o
Carmel

Postby forrestimel » Mon May 05, 2014 11:39 pm

zazulathi thanks :)

Carmel thank you :)

Not much for today, almost done with some client stuff so I'll have more time to do other stuff after I get some mutha flippin money!

forrestimel

Postby Flo » Tue May 06, 2014 5:00 am

hey Forrest,

great way of studying with all these notes. I am sure it helps to clarify things a lot.

I would suggest you add a hint of texture in the light or dark side of your anatomy (never in both), atm your skin looks a bit smooth and digital.

Other than that you seem to be on a good way.
Please help me getting better by checking out my sketchbook http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=266

HOMEPAGE http://floart.weebly.com
Flo
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby JacobJanerka » Tue May 06, 2014 9:41 am

Looking good man, getting a good understanding of forearms and super ripped dude chests. One thing I noticed with some previous sketches (Spider-man stuff) just keep in mind the basic proportions, mostly the legs that you're drawing are super long. Eg with the spider man legs it shows that his leg is bent up, and it should be foreshortened to the viewer. And Doc Ocs legs are way to long. If I have trouble generally I just measure them out by comparing it the head. And for foreshortening, I imagine them as cylinders. Anyway Hopefully that helps man. Keep it up! keen to see some finished pieces!
JacobJanerka

Postby Raytonga » Sat May 10, 2014 7:01 pm

ahhh love love those notes, they've been help me A LOT! I like those michael hampton notes you got there as well xD there are times where some poses may feel too stiff just watch out of those, other than that lovee lovee xD
Sketchbook : viewtopic.php?f=3&t=595
I encourage any CRITIQUE & FEEDBACK
I LOVE hearing on what I can improve on
this is a space of failures and learnings
Raytonga

Postby forrestimel » Tue May 13, 2014 11:49 pm

@Flo: You're right Flo, I'm gonna try and not be afraid to throw texture into my skin with this next client piece :)

@JacobJanerka: Thanks man, I never really noticed my legs being long before but I'll keep an eye out for it :)

@Raytonga: I'm king of stiff poses, I'm workin on it ;)

So I haven't posted in awhile since over the weekend I was pretty busy with having my first table in artist alley at a con. Small con, but still really fun. And I broke even and made a profit so yay!

Anyway, I got another client image I'm workin on, here's some studies for it and a couple doodles <3

Need to simplify shadows more in this :(

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Sat May 17, 2014 10:38 pm

Too many gaps between posts! I gotta get my ass back into gear! Here's some studies and some messin in a different style and a finished client piece :D

forrestimel

Postby Joelhladky. » Tue May 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Nice gestures! Also, nice job on the study habits tutorial. You spoke really well and clearly articulated a lot of your points, well done! Really got the impression that you enjoyed making it. Thanks for sharing some of your secrets! Your improving at such an impressive rate!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue May 20, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks joelhladky :) Glad you liked the video

So I just did a video on my studying habits and have spent a lot of time doing traditional sketches and studies so I decided to post some of those. Studies will be comin soon cuz I just got a couple freelance jobs and am doing a tutorial for minorconcept.com as well so I'm super excited for all of that :)

Also, making that video was super fun and I'm totally gonna do more <3

http://youtu.be/VkKhtuFGIeY

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 pm

Woo, here's studies for two client pieces I'm working on, one I'll be able to show very soon and the other I have no clue when I can show :P And also studies for the tutorial I'm doing for minorconcept.com. Frickin been gettin busy lately, lots o workin and studying, just the way I like it :)

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Sun May 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Some quick studies (bearded guy is for a different piece of client work) from today and a WIP of another Greek God commission. I really need a lot of work on Hera below, gonna be a tough one but I'm super satisfied with the direction it's going in :)

forrestimel

Postby Dxrhym » Mon May 26, 2014 1:20 am

Awesome works dude, that tiled floor in the goddess pic is sooo sweet. More impressive is the amount of studies you're doing! I'm looking forward to seeing more!
Dxrhym

Postby yams4ever » Mon May 26, 2014 6:27 pm

Wow. You're really kicking my butt with these anatomy and gesture studies in your last few studies. Def gonna come back here and watch your vid. The color studeis lokos go too. The jolie one made me laugh haha
yams4ever

Postby forrestimel » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 pm

Dxrhym thank you :)

yams4ever Thanks so much :) I hope you enjoy the video

More work on Hera and some studies. Man oh man do body language studies come in handy, totally gonna do more of these before I jump into a character I work on. Any crits are very welcome :)

forrestimel

Postby Carmel » Mon May 26, 2014 11:30 pm

great studies. It's nice to see how you apply them to your current work. Could you link the video about study habits you made? I lost my link to it.
Carmel

Postby Nathan » Tue May 27, 2014 12:05 am

Nice updates as always man. Hera piece is lookin siiiick, although for the future maybe some studies for where the cloth bends and changes direction, like where her gown meets the floor. It looks more like it's hanging in one place rather than dragging like in that photo study, so I think you would probably get some interesting bunched up shapes, like some halflock folds
Nathan
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby Aliciane » Thu May 29, 2014 6:08 am

Basically... I love your stuff, love your studies and love your notes ! :)

I've seen your video about your studying process and honestly, it was the most inspiring thing I've watched in a long time ! Thank you so much for sharing it, it was so instructive.

You really convinced me with your speech on the notes ! It made me remember that I was always taking notes in class because it almost spared me the chore of learning the course simply by making the effort of writing it once. So if it worked for my classes, why would art be that different ? I'll definitely try to take notes in all my studies from now on !
Moreover, reading your notes was extremely instructive as a simple viewer, so maybe one day my notes will also help somebody else :)

Ha and I also looked though Hampton's Figure Drawing book (since you mentioned it in your video), and he seems to have a very geometric and "blocky" approach of anatomy, it totally speaks to me from what I've seen, much more than Loomis. I think I'll try to work from it, thanks for the recommendation :)

I think the next time I lack motivation I'll simply watch your video again :p if you ever feel like creating another video, don't hesitate ^^
Anyway, really looking forward your next update !
Aliciane
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Nathan Aw man you're totally right I didn't think of that, I'll be sure to keep that in mind next time :)

Aliciane Wow thank you so much :) I'm glad that the video could help you out and motivate you. I plan on making more videos, I actually made another one that I linked below if you wanna check it out.

New Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K0ZZyJ2M2E

Wooooow havent posted in awhile. Gotta fix that, I'm back on the study train once more. Had to take a little break adjusting to my girlfriend starting cosmetology school but all is good now. So here's the finished Hera, some studies and a WIP.

forrestimel

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks