Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby forrestimel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:04 am

Thanks Luna and Uiriamu :)

So I'm bein lazy and saying if ya wanna see all that I did over the last two days you can check it out on my weekly bunch of stuff. Here's a full size view if you'd like to check it out:

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... 1406448065

forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby paintingiscool » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:16 am

Shit :D Awesome sketchbook!! Love how you analyse things like on your color studies and also I think you have a good balance between studies and imagination. Respect! Keep them coming!
paintingiscool

Postby forrestimel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Thanks paintingiscool :)

Here's some junk. Been kinda falling in and out of motivation lately, really sucks. Feels like I wanna get good at everything and that there's just not enough time :p

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:19 am

@_@ If you don't mind, hello forrestimel!--> I just want to say "I like your art and artstyle" again!
^_^ looks like prepared for stories!
x
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby forrestimel » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:27 pm

So I haven't posted in awhile, I've been going through a weird phase. Just generally not happy with my art. Haven't been studying much lately and have been trying out using reference instead, definitely like studies more, I'll still use reference for little things. Like I don't really see much of a point in having to study something like a lion paw if I can't get it to look just right. But if I have to study a whole lion then I will take the time to do that, even if it's just a quick sketch.

Anyway, I'm just kinda on the down part of the whole art rollercoaster right now. Feelin shitty about my work and about most of what I produce. I'm trying to keep a level head and know that I just need to make more time to doodle and sketch my own stuff from imagination so that I don't become a study slave and that after I finish this book cover I'm working on for a client I can start back on a new portfolio piece. I just kinda have been freaking myself out lately with wanting to get better as fast as possible. And I got really nervous about me not using references and had to really struggle to decide whether I want to get better or if I want to get better work out more. And honestly I know I can do both, I don't want to become a slave to reference but only use it here and there if I'm stuck on a part of the pose or something. And I apologize for writing this long of a thing in my sketchbook, just kinda feels nice to write out my thoughts on what I've been thinking about. It's been the reference thing, getting better, worrying about getting work, worrying about my portfolio, blah blah blah. I've been considering just taking a break from Facebook and maybe only use it at the end of every day to check messages and maybe post some art on there, I personally just can't handle seeing other peoples work on there. I have some issues with jealousy and I start to get the idea in my head that likes = better when it doesn't. More likes can mean your better but it could also just mean more people see your work, or you connect with more people so they want to like it. This is actually why I quit posting in the daily spitpaint group on FB. An image of mine got a lot of attention and I was really surprised and happy, but afterward it sort of set a standard. Like "ok, my next one has to be just as creative and just as good or better." But really it could mean so many things other than how good it was. I wasn't taking the group as a fun activity and instead seeing it from a business perspective, I was marketing myself. Just another place to show that I do art. So anyway, gonna try that out and try and stay a little more positive. Take the time I don't spend on Facebook and go outside and do junk or something.

For now here's some art. <3

forrestimel

Postby Carmel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 am

Sounds like it's time you had a holiday. Great drawings again and excellent studies. You set the bar when it comes to image research and development. Yes, people expect a lot from you, but at the end of the day, the only person you have to please is yourself. Personally, I think you're someone to look up to and I admire you a lot. You'll get through it soon ;)
Carmel

Postby forrestimel » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm

Thank you very much Carmel <3

So it's been another week, here is this weeks in an art shell dumpage. If you wanna see everything in higher-res go here:

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... -472748020

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:49 am

Cool color study!! I realize how hard the color study is, but you doing very cool!
it's very inspiring to see your study! ^_^
The last girl is a Wind girl fighter, isn't she? (風) :P
Luna

Postby forrestimel » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:55 pm

Thanks Luna, and yeah my idea was originally for her to be a wind mage/samurai chick but I've kind of drifted from that idea :P

So here's what I did today! I wanna make more time in my day to apply studies not just to finished images but to doodles as well, I feel like it'll help me really seal that knowledge in. Also I want to make sure to make more time to start the day with doodling either in my sketchbook or in photoshop so that I don't become so reliant on studies for my imagination stuff. Taking it slow and enjoying my stuff more today than last week :)

P.S. I also did some asian facial studies and some head angle studies on paper but it's not enough to really post yet but maybe tomorrow :D

forrestimel

Postby Mannequin » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:37 am

I think when You put more time into character the results are best. Maybe it is worth sometimes to try draw a little longer one character and learn from it :)
Asian samurai chick turned out great!
Mannequin

Postby Dxrhym » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:19 pm

Love the amount of work you put out! And that demon sketch is amazing dude, you friggen nailed those values, looks so sick!
Dxrhym
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:28 am

Mannequin Definitely :)

Dxrhym Thank you :)

Didn't do too many studies today, gonna make up for that tomorrow and try to get a lot of work done before I go hang out with some friends and... "socialize."

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:42 am

So here's a bit of an art dump. Was a really slow week. Been kinda paranoid about if the art I'm doing is the art I really enjoy doing or just art I think I like to do due to over saturation of it in the jobs I want to pursue or the artists I look up to and admire. So I took a little step back in the middle of the week to collect my thoughts and make a bit of a plan of action for the next couple months or so, working out a series of things that I think I truly have an interest in but will also help me appeal to companies I want to work for. At the moment I'm kind of doing my own redesigns of commonly depicted fantasy races. So orcs, elves, dwarves, dark elves, and I'm thinking of just doing a human race as well to throw in to the bunch but we will see.

Fantasy creatures and races were probably the very first things that I can remember I sincerely thought were cool that truly inspired and motivated me without someone else being there to persuade my decision on how much I like something. So for now that is something I'm going with. That and I'm deciding to start painting what I feel like painting more. Sometimes I'll have a sudden urge to paint a random ass thing like an animal or like a Japanese city street or something and I've always neglected to take those urges a step further and do something about it. Even if it's not necessarily pertaining to what I'm trying to paint professionally or personally I want to take that inspiration for something and go somewhere with it. So here's to hopefully making some positive changes and steps forward with my own development <3

forrestimel

Postby Venomisia » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:51 am

Wow looking at your sketchbook gives me a lot of motivation. And makes me wish I can someday archieve something like this as well. Keep going please :)!
The one who said hop before the jump - consecuence turnaround artsology
Very venomous sketchbook of venoms
Very venomous DA
Facebook
Tumblr
Artstation
Venomisia
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Location: If you live under a rock long enough you will imagine it being a full furnished home

Postby forrestimel » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:10 pm

Streaming more orcs :D

>>STREAMING<<
forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:35 pm

Sorry I haven't been posting as much, been kinda weird lately. Trying to just draw what I feel like drawing and not do as many studies. Starting the day with a doodle from imagination and junk. Just see what naturally comes to em and what makes me smile when working on :)

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:10 pm

Man it's been awhile since I've posted, just kinda taking it easy right now. Also working on some client stuff as well which I'm gonna do some studies for tomorrow so maybe I'll post that tomorrow. Maybe. I don't know. Possibly. Ok bye.

forrestimel

Postby Drew1404 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:28 am

Dude it seems to me that you're totally over thinking this whole study thing. I don't think I've ever seen someone study in the same way you do, but you can't let that become a burden, it seems to be causing problems to the way you're thinking. Remember that you need to be smart with the studies, otherwise your progress won't be as good as it could be. You need to look at your weaknesses and try and tackle them. I really admire your application and dedication, but I think you could be doing this better. In my opinion, you just need to draw. Draw draw draw. If you work on your drawing ability, it will improve your paintings as well.

Also, the reference thing. Some of the finest fantasy painters ever relied on models, and reference. Look at Boris Vallejo, no one would ever deny that he was incredible. If you used reference, so what. It shouldn't make you feel bad.

Just, stop worrying, work on your weaknesses.
"To learn to succeed, you must first learn to fail"

Sketchbook : http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162
Drew1404
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby forrestimel » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:14 pm

So here's another week in an art shell that I forgot to post on here yesterday. And the rest is all from today. Just doodles and some quick studies for some client work :)

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:20 pm

So wow, haven't posted in a week. But I have a good reason! I was busy! :D

This week was crazy with tons of family coming in for my sister's Bat Mitzvah which was also this weekend, as well as my birthday. So lots of dinners, driving around to places, and preparing for the Bat Mitzvah. But the craziness is finally dying down and I can start getting back to art, but it was nice to have a little break for a while.

But anyway, here is what I did get done this week, not much but still something.

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... -477873443

forrestimel

Postby Joelhladky. » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:04 pm

haha nice, the golden boy! That's here in my home town, it's on our legislature building.

Crazy work ethic as usual, keep it up!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby forrestimel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:30 am

Sorry I've been bad about posting. I might be getting worse at it here soon, or better, not sure yet. So I may have gotten a studio gig, I'm not sure how much I can say exactly so I won't say what studio I've been hired by. But I'm doing a test week for them starting tomorrow to see if I can match the style they need. If I can then I'll be hired on to the project they're working on for about 4 weeks or so. This is huge for me, I've never had an opportunity like this and I'm really happy and excited about it. It's definitely not the perfect job, it's nowhere near the kind of stuff I like to paint and it's certainly not in the style I like to paint, but this is opening up so many opportunities for me for future work and for work experience. This means I'll only have about 4 spare hours every day for painting/chores/girlfriend time (excluding weekends, weekends are open). If I did my math correctly I'll roughly have around 40 hours or so still available if I make time for the studio work, sleep, and social time with girlfriend/friends. As long as I stay focused I can still get a lot of stuff done in that amount of time. So, wish me luck :p

For now here's some stuff:

forrestimel

Postby forrestimel » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:50 pm

Here's some junk from today!

forrestimel

Postby Mannequin » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:36 am

forrestimel wrote:Sorry I've been bad about posting. I might be getting worse at it here soon, or better, not sure yet. So I may have gotten a studio gig, I'm not sure how much I can say exactly so I won't say what studio I've been hired by. But I'm doing a test week for them starting tomorrow to see if I can match the style they need. If I can then I'll be hired on to the project they're working on for about 4 weeks or so. This is huge for me, I've never had an opportunity like this and I'm really happy and excited about it. It's definitely not the perfect job, it's nowhere near the kind of stuff I like to paint and it's certainly not in the style I like to paint, but this is opening up so many opportunities for me for future work and for work experience. This means I'll only have about 4 spare hours every day for painting/chores/girlfriend time (excluding weekends, weekends are open). If I did my math correctly I'll roughly have around 40 hours or so still available if I make time for the studio work, sleep, and social time with girlfriend/friends. As long as I stay focused I can still get a lot of stuff done in that amount of time. So, wish me luck :p

Well congrats! You look excited and happy but very worried at the same time. But You know what's best for You and Your career :)
I just say that for the same reasons You are worried I've left my day job. I was doing social games and it wasn't the thing for me ;) After work hours I had maximum 4 hrs of drawing for myself which made 12 hrs in front of computer... How frustrated was I. I wasn't learning fast enough and my health deteriorated :( I was very moody and my close family felt my anger.
I wish You luck of course and much skills to maintain Your health and personal life in a good shape.
Mannequin

Postby Enydimon » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Hey Forrest, I'm just commenting to let you know I enjoyed the videos you put up on youtube.

Congrats on the studio job, I hope it works out for you. Just be careful about taking jobs that take you away from what you'd prefer to be doing as they might only lead you to more jobs of the same stuff you don't like to paint. I'm sure it will be a learning experience if nothing else and if it turns out you aren't into what they're doing, you're just crossing things off a list and going toward the direction you want to go in.

Keep up the good work.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby forrestimel » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:44 pm

Mannequin Yeah I'm getting about 4-5 hrs per day total to use for girlfriend/drawing time and then two days off to play catch up. It's not a lot but it's just what I have to work with :/

Enydimon Yeah this definitely isn't my dream job, maybe if it were for a job more suited towards the style I like to work in but right now it's not my favorite thing in the world ha :P

Well that studio job is sucking the life out of me but its good money. I'm very grateful and its been a crazy different experience compared to what I'm used to. I'm starting to try and work out a schedule so I can get the maximum amount of work possible while staying consistent with necessities like spending time with my girlfriend so she doesn't hate me and doing my daily workout so I don't become fat and lazy and irritable :D

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... -481236307

forrestimel

Postby Enydimon » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Yeah I feel you, I'm currently working on a freelance gig that is just barely related to illustration, but I'm getting paid more than I normally would so I'm riding it out. If there's anything that I've learned the last two years it's that sometimes things, even if completely unrelated to what we're aiming for, can teach us a lot about ourselves and sometimes that's enough. So even if you never end up doing that kind of job again you might be learning something about scheduling or maybe even something else.

I'm digging the goblin and wolf dudes. Reminds me of Dave Rapoza's stuff!

Hang in there, you're still putting out a good amount of work.
Self Deprecation ≠ Self Awareness
SB: http://forums.permanoobs.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=161
Enydimon
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby forrestimel » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:46 pm

So the studio has been keeping me nice and busy (not really nice but whatevs). Here's what I was able to do over the last couple weeks. It's helped having a personal project to work on and do specific things for. And it also really helps that while doing it it's simultaneously requiring me to do studies so I'll stop sucking over time. Maybe. We'll see.

http://forrestimel.deviantart.com/art/I ... 1411360987

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:36 pm

^_^ haha! You got so many together because you feeling uploaded one by one is hard work! :P
I got the same feeling before! I like that shoe and many monkeys and the machine looks like a light and the apple and the landscapes!..... sorry too many... @.@... ^_^∠※
Luna

Previous

Return to Sketchbooks