Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Re: Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:14 pm

Dude! your work ethic is so sick! You're improving so much, and fast. I hope you're noticing that.
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:13 pm

Joelhladky Thank you :)

Lots o studies and experimenting with starting in B&W and moving to color. Wanna try and get better with values :P

forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby forrestimel » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Just a few studies, I'll show what I'm applying them to soon :)

forrestimel

Postby matthew » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:32 pm

You do a lot of very thorough studies. And I like the quality
of your lines very much! Keep it up! :)
matthew
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Sophie_Draws » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:53 am

Thanks for the advice you gave me. It’s great seeing the notes in your studies, they’re really helpful. You’re really improving; I’m looking forward to seeing more!
Sophie_Draws
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby NelandVoid » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:08 am

This is really inspirational to see, I enjoy how you approach the studies, and they are applied really well to your imaginative work. Keep cracking on!
NelandVoid

Postby zazulathi » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:22 am

Super awesome focused studies in here, keep at them!!
zazulathi

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:14 am

matthew thanks :)

Sophie_Draws thank you :)

NelandVoid thanks :) I just hope I can inspire other people to start taking studies more seriously too

zazulathi I shall! thanks :)

Finished some illustrations woo! And one of em I did a tutorial on that you can see below, I hope it helps some people :)

http://www.minorconcept.com/2014/06/11/ ... -tutorial/

Now here is some stuff :)

forrestimel

Postby Aliciane » Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:04 am

Ooh I love the masked lady ! Do you intend to push it further ? The character looks quite polished but the background is very sketchy so I'm not sure whether it's supposed to be finished or not XD
Your feet studies are so clean, any tips on achieving this line quality ? Apart from practising of course, what would be your recommendations when it comes to sketching digitally ?
Because what's usually said for pen & paper such as using the whole arm or holding the pen the right way isn't necessarily adapted for sketching on a rather small tablet D:
Aliciane
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby forrestimel » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:58 pm

Aliciane Nah the masked lady was just a little experimentation with an idea I had. I might turn it into an illustration but it'd be much bigger and better than that :) A lot of people have been telling me that I have smooth digital lines for my studies and I never really noticed before ha, I guess I just got better at it by doing proper gestures and sort of forced myself to do long, accurate strokes.

Studies studies studies. Sorry for shitty camera phone quality on the traditional stuff :p

Oh and I did a new video about Values :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HI6bROCBL4

Last edited by forrestimel on Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forrestimel

Postby chazillah » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:01 pm

keep it up, dude! *_* /) nice improvement!
chazillah
Level 11: Ringed Seal

Postby forrestimel » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks chazillah

Here's some studies and some finished client work :) Super happy with how the hydra turned out, the other one is meh :/

forrestimel

Postby algenpfleger » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:19 am

awesome dedication on the studies man! more more more!
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby forrestimel » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:28 pm

Thanks Johannes :D

Well I have no client work for a couple days at least so I wanted to take the time to work my ass off while making a new character for my portfolio.

I'm so frickin wiped out now so I'm gonna relax with some GW2 :)

forrestimel

Postby matthew » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:46 pm

Great stuff! Love the last design. I'm looking forward to the colored version. :)
The piece with the hydra rocks, too. Nice light and colors. The crop is a little unfortunate, though, in my opinion.
The top border of the frame creates a tangent with the tip of the hydra's ear. Similar things happen in the area of
the human's foot at the bottom border. However, it's a really strong piece! Keep it up!
matthew
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby three » Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:56 pm

Your horn studies are such a neat idea, makes me want to do some since I always try to squeeze horns into some of my portraits. Lines on your last pic are looking really interesting, my only crit at this stage is there is very little sense of weight to the figure, doesn't seem quite anchored to the ground correct but I think some slightly repositioning of the legs should be enough to fix that.

Seriously though the rendering on the horn girl rules, would love to see more like that.
three
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby snatti » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:34 pm

Very inspiring seeing all these in depth studies, good mix of studies and imaginative work!
snatti
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby Choob » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I like the horn studies especially, but they're all good. Keep it up man, the more you study the more you improve right. :)
“Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise, seek what they sought.”
Facebook | Ancient Blog | New Sketchbook | Inspiration Tumblr | My Tumblr
Choob
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby forrestimel » Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:51 pm

matthew Thanks :) And yeah I only noticed the tangents when it was too late, it would've had to take some major readjusting in order to keep that feeling that the hydra was gigantic but still be able to shrink it down.

three I took your advice and tried to fix the weight distribution, does it look better now?

snatti thank you :)

choob dang straight! :O

Alright, didn't get as much done today as I wanted but still got some junk done. Did a color/lighting study from Oblivion and a really quick rough study just to get an idea of how to place the feet in my new image and how the shadows below the character might look. And then of course I worked on the character. Still not sure if I wanna go with the fiery daggers or not, any opinions? Also her head is looking a little big to me but proportionally it's fine I'm pretty sure, anyone else think maybe I should make the head bigger?

forrestimel

Postby zazulathi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:38 am

Woaaah, I haven't been here for a while, looks like you have been busy! Good job! Those are some amazing studies....love how detailed and focused they are, I can tell they are really helping your work, so keep those up....your work has definitely improved from when I last looked! Love these ones --- http://eclipseorigins.com/community/fil ... e4bd87.png ---- http://eclipseorigins.com/community/fil ... 763a8c.png
zazulathi

Postby algenpfleger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:39 am

algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby forrestimel » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:29 pm

zazulathi Thanks so much :)

algenpfleger Thanks! Glad you like it so far :)

Here's what I did today :D I really want to challenge myself more, I know I can do more with my time than this. Tomorrow I won't have too much time to work but should still be able to post something. Then Sunday expect an awesome day of studies :D

forrestimel

Postby Aliciane » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:55 pm

Yay, I've seen your video, thank you so much for doing these, you always have such interesting insights and tips ! I've configured my software to have shortcuts to those 11 values like you did XD

I'll definitely try to improve my line work by doing longer strokes and such.
Beautiful reptile studies, I can see how they were useful for that Hydra painting :)

I think I only regret not having the time to read all your notes ! XD
Stupid question but, is there a reason why your sketches are always done on a mid-grey background ? Because you don't really need to judge value accurately or such since those are just sketches, so I'm puzzled :)

I really love your current chara-design ! So many details, such a tough face and not a bikini armor ! :p The rendering is turning amazing ! You've improved so much since your previous knight female figure, that is so inspiring !
Aliciane

Postby forrestimel » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:46 pm

Aliciane thanks very much :) I'm glad my notes and videos could help you out. I just use a mid-grey background so it's not as strenuous on my eyes is all, after awhile all that black on white can start to hurt my eyes so this eases it.

Well I wanted to post on Saturday but ended up having to spend most of my day watching a 2 year old. I don't know why I thought I was still gonna be able to get any work done that day ha. And then it slipped my mind last night so here is today and yesterday's art dump :)

I finished the character I was working on too! YAY! Now I'm on to a new illustration :)

forrestimel

Postby Aliciane » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Woah, I'm really looking forward to see the progress on your new illustration ! I love your researches, I've always loved nature-inspired characters, I'm sure you'll manage to create a beautiful design ! :)

The final rendering of your female demon is beautiful, it almost looks like a 3D render, you painted so many little details... She has a very nice outfit that really fits a badass adventurer :p
Aliciane

Postby DhArt » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:43 pm

Man, im learning so much just from reading your notes. Makes me realized I need to work a lot harder to catch up to you!
DhArt
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby forrestimel » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:58 pm

Aliciane thank you so much :)

DhArt I'm glad my notes could help you :)

So this week has been busy for me with my brother coming to town and 4th of July and all. Didn't have as much time as I wanted but that just means I'm cherishing the time I now have :)

So here's some more work on that earth elemental illustration and some studies I did for it, oh and a little portrait thing I did as a warm up this morning.

forrestimel

Postby Aliciane » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:39 pm

Woah I didn't expect that sort of look for your character, but I love it ! She looks like an explorer, a traveller :D
You chose the same thumbnail as I'd have, last ones were the most interesting because of the viewpoint, in my opinion :)

Your notes are as interesting as ever, I especially like your idea of showing the "full hue" associated with some colours; certain effect may be tricky such as dark yellows appearing green.
Aliciane

Postby forrestimel » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Aliciane Thanks :) I'm glad you've been enjoying my notes ha

So here's what I did today. I'm not sure about giving the girl a backpack in the earth elemental image so I removed it for now, I think it gives for a better silhouette but I don't know. Right now the image looks super cluttered too just cuz I've been adding in photos and junk but I'll make sure to clear it all up and make it more readable soon :)

forrestimel

Postby Luna » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:43 pm

The Last color study is really impressive for my eyes~ I know that value study girl is from <Harry Potter> ^^
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

PreviousNext

Return to Sketchbooks