Wavenwater's Sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Wavenwater's Sketchbook

Postby wavenwater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:54 am

Hi wassup folks!
I'm really excited to see how this forum will turn out, I hope I can connect with a lot of you awesome artist out there and get to work hard on our stuff!

I'll post some daily sketches n tryouts here, hope to make some good progrress during the time to come!

And started an environment, so i'm working on that from time to time!

Last edited by wavenwater on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wavenwater
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Re: Wavenwater's Sketchdump

Postby Rindoukan » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am

awesome studies.Love the little plant sketches too.Question if I may tho, those enviro studies with the notes, how big do you keep them ?They seem to have a conciderable amount of detail for what it is.
SKETCHBOOK
Crits of every kind are welcome
Rindoukan
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby algenpfleger » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:00 am

duuuuuuuude nice colors
fuck i feel lazy
work on the faces though man! one hundred pages of loomis, now! :D seriously though, i sometimes feel that drawing faces shouldn't just be approached in such a formulaic way. try doing it in a more exaggerated manner maybe, with crazy expressions and a bit more fluidity. i'm not great at that myself though so don't listen to me too much

post more though, and lemme see your brushwork up close pls
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby wavenwater » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 pm

Rindoukan: Hey man thanks a lot for the comment really appreciated! I make those studies on a half A4 page, I then compose them together!

algenpfleger: WHOAH O.o Thanks ho great Annes! haha never thought i'd get a comment of yours, so it's really appreciated! :)
I'll defenetly make a couple of more expressive/looser face studies right after my 100 hands studies :p Thanks a lot for the tip!

The sketchbook now! Well, I'd say that I have been amazingly surprised of how many people have been postin on this new forum today, it so nice, there is so many reat artist here it's just awesome :)!

Today I have been working on my environment which you can see just up here, but I couldn't find a good way to start rendering it, something about the overwhelming texture bugged me many times, so I started again and again and finally at the end of the day I came up with something sweet! but then photoshop overwrited the file with a previous version -_- so yeah that one pissed me off XD I did a couple of artsy painting which I will take picture of as soon as I get my camera back!

Here is an head study I made this afternoon, between 3d work for school and art class. I feel I got the proportion right, but when it comes to taking away the lineart, I feel like something is missing, also I have difficulties to blend my color smoothly, anyone have any tips on that? do you lower your flow or something? thank you a lot!

Some past studies to fill up the page :p
wavenwater

Postby stephbouchard » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 pm

woooo, t'es thumbnails d'environement torchent sérieux, tu maitrise vraiment la lumière et les couleurs dans tes études! Tu t'améliores tellement vite, c'est vraiment du bon boulot! Les créatures sont vraiment cute aussi ^_^
stephbouchard
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Wavenwater's Sketchbook

Postby Marcelloo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:58 am

Great studies!! Damn, I have to do some as well! I really love the last creatures sketches. Nice linework combined with this simple lighting... sooo cool!! Keep it up!! :)
Marcelloo
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby wavenwater » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:02 pm

stephbouchard: Hey merci beaucoup miss! J'essai de me monter à votre niveau chez volta :p!
Toi aussi tu as tellement progressé :D! merci encore pour ton lil tuto sur les mains, vraiment apprécié!

Marcelloo: Hey thanks man! really appreciated! For my creatures, I have made this simple to give it a toon look, but I defenetly want to push the complexity a bit!

As for today, well damn, I have to make some props for our student project at school, i'm the concept artist in my team and I have to design a whole cathedral, I have already planned the stairs, and today I felt like trying other things! So I worked on the pillars! Was way harder than I though XD! Looked at some ref and it game me a good base, but I would like to know if anyone out there knows, How do they approach props design in studio? I had a rough time with the perspective as I felt it was stretching a bit too much, I know my perspective, but on props, I wonder if they use ortographic gris or something? Anyway, here's the stuff!

+ a quick enviro thumbnail, I feel like the light is not yet quite balanced so imma work on that again!

* the grids are off i know, they werent supposed to be in the Jpg
Attachments
thumbnails 2v_02.jpg
thumbnails 2v_02.jpg (227.22 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Pillar 01 exploration.jpg
Pillar 01 exploration.jpg (477.44 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
Pillar 02 exploration.jpg
Pillar 02 exploration.jpg (162.65 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
lineart final.jpg
lineart final.jpg (173.79 KiB) Viewed 4857 times
wavenwater

Postby toehir » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:06 pm

love your designs!!!
toehir
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Willlake » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:19 pm

the natural/ plant studies are awesome. It's part art study book part environmental eco warrior. I can see the benefit in doing these so id love to see more pages!
Willlake

Postby Chaklet_Cookiee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I don't know but those plants studies are lovely!
Chaklet_Cookiee
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby wavenwater » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:06 am

Chaklet_Cookiee: thanks girl, I love nature stuff, nature is the best designer, so mabey if I try to mimick it, i'll be as good as her someday XD and Omg, really got to tell you, on your profile pick you look just like one of my girl friend, it's astonishing XD!

Willlake: Thanks man yeah those could be great for character design!

toehir: thanks :)

Omg, this week end is gonna be a busy one I have to take a 30 hrs shift at the job, but imma try posting as much as I can in between my shift! Still got to finish some homework for art class, I'll show them to you right when I get my camera back! I had a litle time to work on my environment, trying to give it a more grahic style I think, i've been inspired by shaddy dorje ross tran and John berkey, so i'm trying to simplify but still have it a nice feel, let's push that further and see where it will lead me :)

have a happy easter If I don,t have time to post this week end XD
Attachments
2014-04-18 environment 06.jpg
2014-04-18 environment 06.jpg (438.49 KiB) Viewed 4807 times
wavenwater

Postby jeremygordonart » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 am

Really great work man! I wish I could read the environment study notes, they seem enlightening.
Wish I had more feedback, haha, just keep doing what you're doing!
jeremygordonart
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby wavenwater » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:02 am

jeremygordonart: Hey Thanks man, I'll keep it up for sure! ;) As for the notes on my studies These are mostly personal observation, you should make your own too, each time you do a studie, the best is to observe it after that, take note on correction and then make a short painting on what you've just learned! But If you really want to read my notes (I have a very crappy handwriting sorry) you can find some on my blawg : http://www.wavenwater.blogspot.ca/

As for today, I got my camera back! so I took some picture of my newly started sketchbook! These are mostly drawing made for fun in the morning, in borring class or just to chill out after a day or when I need a break from other stuff, anyways, there are some stupid thing in it, some studies and so on, many stuff, tried to draw hand a bit more since I'm totally bad at them XD!
Attachments
2014-04-19 sketchbook 05.jpg
2014-04-19 sketchbook 05.jpg (400.61 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
2014-04-19 sketchbook 04.jpg
2014-04-19 sketchbook 04.jpg (370.11 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
2014-04-19 sketchbook 03.jpg
2014-04-19 sketchbook 03.jpg (405.13 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
2014-04-19 sketchbook 02.jpg
2014-04-19 sketchbook 02.jpg (372.79 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
2014-04-19 sketchbook 01.jpg
2014-04-19 sketchbook 01.jpg (386.47 KiB) Viewed 4782 times
wavenwater

Postby wavenwater » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:34 pm

Sup guys! I've been working a hell of a lot this week end + end of school 3d stuff got me, but here is a little something 4 you fellows :D
I was asked to work it in color fromthis black n white version, but god darn I hate to use the color layer to paint an already rendered image, I feel like it takes away the stuff and there is not way it can get as much color variation as a realy piece colored from the start trought normal layers! Even thos, I frequently use the color layer to tint my things, but not builld a whole image from it! so won't show you the colored version cuz it's awfull, but here is the black n white, hope you like :)

2014-04-21 crab king.jpg
2014-04-21 crab king.jpg (384.79 KiB) Viewed 4762 times

+ You get to see some of my schoolism class creature painting with bobby chiu's homeworks, some bad, some good, you can see the evolution of the king crab idea, from the small shroom crab like to antellar crab to crab king! feels like pokemon XD anyways, learned to paint fur and scales it's a start, but now I know how XD!

2014-04-21 schoolism.jpg
2014-04-21 schoolism.jpg (299.17 KiB) Viewed 4762 times

You can find hi rez on my DA

Back to painting have a nice day fellas!

I feel like making a sweet big post, so here are also some character design sheet I had to make for 3d modeling class, 2 of my design have been chosen, you will see waht people came up with in about 2 weeks, some have really turned out awesome :D!
The first girl with a crab on her head is from a personal ip which i'm working on right now for my graduation artbook! more on that later ;)
The rest is for fun :D

wavenwater

Postby EJL » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:42 pm

super cool stuff! I love how you explore different forms
EJL
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby wavenwater » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:50 pm

EJL: Thanks man, I think versatilyty in style and form is something important for a concept artist, you must be able to draw everything!!! :p

Hey guys, I've been on a chair all day trying to figure stuff out on painting XD It's not good, you have to exercise too, but the semester is almost over :D! i'll have tim to train again and go outside :D! So a quick update on the castle environment + some arsty fartsy stuff for an art calss, with some art weirdo that do metaphoric drawing with qtips and rocks... I never got the new way people do art. I feel like art went bullshit somewhere around the art pop movement. Anydong, here's the stufff yeah!

wavenwater

Postby Archon » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:46 am

Woah, I love your sketchbook, great concepts!
You`re chasing a very realistic design style, I`d love to see more sci fi-ish stuff, or if not sci fi just more outwordly and wonky idk =D

Great job! =D
Archon
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby ImSkeptical » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:28 am

Your drawings are really awesome man, i'm jelly xD. Keep working on that painting though, you'll get there, that castle environment could be great.
ImSkeptical

Postby BreezeCordiale » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:01 am

Very cool^^ You got fantastic ideas on different things, that's pretty amazing.
For blending colours smoothley I often lower the covering power of the colour I draw with :)
BreezeCordiale

Postby purple root » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:06 am

friggin gorgeous work man! really inspiring studies and how you´re implementing them.
you mentioned some of my recent inspirations too! dorje is such a beast! Ross Tran, Berkley and Shaddy too ofc.
have you checked out Aaron Limonick and Eytan Zana? two of my current artists to drool over also. :)
purple root

Postby wavenwater » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:02 pm

purple root: Hey hi there, thanks a lot for the kind words! Oh my god we share a lot of similar tastes I see, I just love the way those guys handle their brush strokes and simplicity! And well of course, all of the naughty dog art crew is just insane :D!

BreezeCordiale: Thanks there :) I Might try your thing out ;)

ImSkeptical: Hey thank you a lot, here see the final version of the castle thingy :p

Archon: Thanks man, next painting is comming and guess what?? Sci fi stuff nahhh you kiddin hell no i'm talking real stuff here haha, will start working on that later this week, as soon as school is over!

Hey sup my fellow ass kicking artsy funny talented buddies! Hell, I have been busy for the last day and couldn't post, but here I am back again, also I should make a quick run on yo sketchbook all, be prepared for some serious critique cuz yeah, I feel it's borring just to say Great stuff! even thos it brings a super smile in a day :)!

Anydong ding dong! Here the final version of my castle, really happy of how it turned out!
Also, some sketches of creature I found out :P
+ SKETCHES! I decided that each morning I wake up, imma make a couple of still life, some hands and expression, around 2 to 5 mins each! I realised that I might not be looking at my painting the right way see, I kind of look at my ref then place the line, but I think I shoult look at the ref, look at my painting and consider the stroke based on what I have established, need more focus! I feel like I have been drawing in a wrong way for a good part of my life ant it slowed me down, gotta get the machine rollin!! And yeh that's pretty much it ^^ thanks for the words folks :D!
Oh and sorry for the crappy photo :( Will take better one next time I swear!

wavenwater

Postby Mischeviouslittleelf » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:39 pm

Wow man! Great work here! Really impressed with the last illustration, wonderful light and color. The one thing I would point out is that you ought to take to work on your line qualities a little, see if you can coax a more lively line out of the analytic constructions you have. Looking forward to seeing more work from ya man!
Mischeviouslittleelf

Postby Peninsula » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:38 am

I must say, in the waterfall piece, I think the actual falling water looks better in the first sketches than in the more finished version you're at now. Especially in the area where the water goes from an horizontal plain to a vertical one, the quick energetic strokes that create a more pronounced distinction between the blue and yellow tones, as well as the bright highlights gives the water the energy it needs as the most animate part in the otherwise quite static environment. The latest version seems a little dull and overdone in that specific area. The perspective of the temple in the bottom righ corner is also a bit wonky. Aside from that, the illustration is looking great! I love how dramatic the piece is with its incredibly steep mountain walls. Good luck with finishing it.
Also known as Axelga2112, Rev. Mendelez, Clement Obodom and A. Næss
Check out my music playlist here!
My sketchbook
Peninsula
Level 8: Ross Seal

Postby wavenwater » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:10 pm

Peninsula: Thanks a lot man for the crit! I too thik it might lack a bit of motion in there, will see what i can do about it!

Misheviouslitleelf:Hey thanks a lot Even, will look at that for sure mate!

Heya folks! I remade my portfolio and submitted for a job opening in my country, so i'm crossing my fingers on that!
http://www.wavenwater.blogspot.ca/2014/04/portfolio-2014.html
FOr the drawing part, well, I took what Even said very seriously and he's true, I really gotta work on my flow! so I went out to look for the master in that from my point of view, went to lok at Iain Mccaig, Alexander Calum Watt, Glen Vilpu, Hethe sorodawa and Even of course, I really tried to understand how they had that flow and energy in their stuff, while not being so constructed, I think i might found out how this works, so imma practice that a lot :)
Made some head lookin at it like 30 sec and then 5 mins to draw it from memory XD was hard, but really thaughtfull! Also continued working on my cathedral thingy!

wavenwater

Postby wavenwater » Thu May 01, 2014 10:50 am

Hey guys, voila a 3d model I had to make in class, spent about a month and a half on it!

Here are some render out from Arnold renderer which we recently got at our school, I was able to experiment a lot with it and let me tell you that it's just an amazing engine!

This model was made with the purpose to share at the end of it's completion. Many great people helped me make this since i'm no 3d artist and was completely lost in maya.
It is rigged and textured + I am giving you the original ztool of it.
it's still pretty basic stuff, but I hope some of you could make good use of it!
http://www.mediafire.com/download/t3isjcoivtv0e2z/Wavenwater_shared_alien.zip

You can use it for anything really, please just give credit to Wavenwater, thanks!

wavenwater

Postby Meteorskies » Wed May 14, 2014 5:25 am

Very impressive work here. I especially like how you spend so much time on the details and perspective of the building in your enviro.
Meteorskies

Postby Cryptoendolith » Wed May 14, 2014 7:22 am

Cool stuff, I especially like your plants and creatures. Your human anatomy may need some work, but hey, you're working on that already. Keep it up!
Cryptoendolith

Postby wavenwater » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:38 pm

Heyy hi Again folks!

@Meteorskies: Thank you a lot man I in fack cheated a bit this painting making mmultiple time the same linework, but only changing the angle of the ellipses that forms it :)

@Cryptoendolith Thanks a lot man, effectively i'm going to work out my anatomy in the comming days, i'm on that! :)

I'm back here after a little bit of a drop off, it's just like everybody was telling me to let go off drawing and everything and it really got me I sunken down a bit, but hey fuck that! I'm back And I really want to improve a lot!

So, today I spent some time on faces, I really like I can sketch a head no big prob nowadays, I will scan my sketchbook soon promises! But when it comes to rendering, gosh i'm horrible, I'm working mostly with the hard round like everybody else and I feel like it's a good brush to "learn" but yeah, you can see how my painting turn out to have no life in them and to be some kind of dry! can anyone help me on this? it would be much appreciated, should I add some layer stuff etc, I dunno!

wavenwater

Postby Crackedskull » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:08 pm

Nice sketchbook, I really like the castle environment.
Crackedskull

Postby wavenwater » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:10 pm

@Crackedskull: thanks a lot, this piece seems to be the one most people like :)

Here's an other study + application I did today, The next one, i'm gonna spend way more time on it to be sure I got things really well written in my mind! I also sketched some gesture drawing this morning studying off of algenpfleger Even mehl amudsen and adam hughes!
Trought my studies I realised how badly I needed y pen sketches to be 1: toned 2: represent emotion 3: really embrace the 3d feel, cuz in my studies, I feel like I missed out on painting the eyes, they just don,t feel 3d at all, gotta understand why!
I meditadted this morning, it helped me get in a more good mood than yesterday about painting, take deep breaths and have a good time :)

Also here's a painting I did 2 weeks ago that I reworked this evening! it was done in the nathan fowkes class of environment design, I shall mabey upload those here... ok let me 2 sec I'll shrink these down so you can see them :)

Done hope you like!

And while i'm at it here's some studies+ applied knowlege from last week :)

On that, back to sketch a little before bed :)
Gotta focus on getting things right and simple and OH! learn to use layer effectively, not only normal layer XD!
wavenwater

Next

Return to Sketchbooks