Carmel's sketchamacallits

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Carmel's sketchamacallits

Postby Carmel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:03 am

Hi guys, hope you're all doing well!
So, here's my stuff. What I see as my problems (not in order of importance)
1. anatomy
2. values
3. composition
4. colour (x2 - I really don't understand it - help required)
5. imagination

c&c and add to my 'work on' list :D
Attachments
monochrome-self-portrait-carmel-ward-2013-ca-upload.jpg
monochrome-self-portrait-carmel-ward-2013-ca-upload.jpg (15.23 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Alex-monochrome-final-web2-ca-upload.jpg
Alex-monochrome-final-web2-ca-upload.jpg (14.46 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
bougueraeu-value-study-final-cward.jpg
bougueraeu-value-study-final-cward.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
jon-jones-mono-carmel-ward.jpg
jon-jones-mono-carmel-ward.jpg (14.07 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
battle-ready-wip1.jpg
battle-ready-wip1.jpg (9.45 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
chris-weidman-study.jpg
chris-weidman-study.jpg (24.02 KiB) Viewed 6111 times
Last edited by Carmel on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carmel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Re: Carmel's sketchbook.

Postby Kroencke » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:16 am

Your studies turn out great, though I can see where things are starting to fall apart when you do more imaginative work.

For anatomy it really just seems like certain details escape you but overall you've got a decent base, keep doing studies like you are and more and more of that knowledge will stick. I could say the same for values, you're on the right track just keep practicing.

Composition I think is best learnt by studying great paintings and illustrations, abstract paintings are particularly useful in this regard.

Color might be adding a bit too much to your plate at the moment, but it doesn't hurt to dabble in something new. For now I'd say just pay close attention to the color of things you see in everyday life. Are those shadows really black? Is that light really white? How does a colored light affect the color of the object?

'Fraid I can't help you with imagination though, I still struggle with that myself!

Keep up the good work.
Kroencke
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Carmel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:00 am

Hi Kroencke - thanks for the crits! :D They're really helpful.

It's been a bad week for drawing/painting. Although I've been productive, I feel unfocused and frustrated and that I'm not making much progress. I'm just going to keep plowing through.

Tonight I'm going to do some studies. Hope this post finds you all well, Happy Easter!
Attachments
20-4.jpg
20-4.jpg (28.47 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
posemaniacs-drawing-20-4.jpg
posemaniacs-drawing-20-4.jpg (21.45 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
20.4.2jpg.jpg
This drawing was done from life - a bunch of us were sat at the river's edge in Gorky park.
20.4.2jpg.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
20.4.3.jpg
20.4.3.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 6090 times
Carmel

Postby Carmel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:23 pm

Some film studies - one sucks, the other I'm quite happy with.
Attachments
skyfall-film-still-study-cw.jpg
skyfall-film-still-study-cw.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
drive-film-study-colour.jpg
drive-film-study-colour.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 6066 times
Carmel

Postby forrestimel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:06 am

Hey there Carmel, its good that you know what you need to work on. You said how you really need help with your colors, if you haven't already I really recommend investing in getting James Gurney's Color and Light book. It really breaks down color and helps you get a better grasp on it. Also I recommend to keep workin on screencaps like the ones above but try to take some notes on the colors after you've done the study. Color pick your study and the actual reference and compare your colors to the references and make a note on where you're suffering (saturation, hue, value, etc.).

Hope I could help :)
forrestimel

Postby Chaklet_Cookiee » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:07 am

It seems like you are scared to draw as far as I see in your traditional stuff, don't be! And exercise more!
Chaklet_Cookiee
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby algenpfleger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:20 am

carmel! nice values and likeness! your faces look pretty damn good, and it's good to see you analyze own weaknesses. keep that mindset by all means, it will prove super important!..

as for color, think of it as a different world altogether. it's all just light hitting you in the face from the direction you're looking in, not form or anything. do some color studies with a brush that doesn't blend (pencil tool in photoshop is noice) and do some studies where you focus simply on the colors in front of you, pure impressionism, no form, drawing or rendering. work from large to small and see how color affects mood, how lighting affects color and value ranges, and so on. then do some simple pieces like that from imagination - again thinking light, not form. for example you're not drawing a house, you're painting an afternoon scene on a cloudy day with a shape somewhere that looks like a house. it'll melt your brain at first. do a lot of this and things will make sense. don't ignore doing just as much from imagination. it'll help a ton!gogogo!
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby Carmel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:18 am

Hi guys - thank you so much for dropping by :D

I had a fantastic weekend and will hopefully have an even better week!
1) I got my first illustration job (scared to death)
2) The weather was great, I went on an adventure with some friends yesterday
3) I have 11 days holiday starting May 1st!
4) so many comments @_@ you've made my day!

@ forrestimel - That was very helpful, thank you so much. I have 'C&L' and read it from time to time, but I haven't applied much from it. Seems I refer to it a lot for info on reflected light (for my bf's modelling hobby most of the time!). I'll refer to if for my next screencap study. It's a great book and I think Gurney is a god - but I also get a little overwhelmed reading it. My next screencaps I will do the comparison exercise you told me as well :D Thanks!

@ Chaklet_Cookiee - I'm not too sure what you mean by this, but I will interpret it as 'draw more' :D thanks chick :D

@ algenpfleger - I wish I had this mindset while I was in university. Is the procedure how you have been doing your recent colour studies? I will try this definitely. I look forward to brain melt happening! By the way, thank you for telling me how you did the fence in your SB, I tried it myself :D Thanks for all your help!

Here're some sketches. I've been a busy bee but this is the personal stuff. I've started a 'draw 100' challenge for girl's faces. I struggle to draw 'pretty' people and hair, so far it's been fun!
Attachments
27.4.1.jpg
27.4.1.jpg (62.98 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
100-girls-heads1.jpg
100-girls-heads1.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
100-girls-heads2.jpg
100-girls-heads2.jpg (66.88 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
100-girls-heads3.jpg
100-girls-heads3.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
27.4.2.jpg
27.4.2.jpg (39.3 KiB) Viewed 5995 times
Carmel

Postby Lambs » Sat May 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Those portraits look great! That means you already have a handle on some of the trickiest drawing skills, proportion and placement. Keep it up!

While you're doing the opaque color studies Hannes (algenpfleger) recommended, try to notice and remember some general principles about how color behaves. Things like:

- Value is separate from color. (This is why our brains can interpret forms in black and white photographs or forms under crazy colored lights just as well as forms under plain sunlight.) Get your values right first, then worry about color temperature, hue, and saturation.

- Hue and saturation affect value. You can't just go to the HSB sliders in Photoshop, set the black level slider at 50%, and expect every hue to give you the same value. That's what I did until yesterday, but now I know better. -_- (See Sycra's hue/value guide in the Resources section here.)

- Color is relative. You don't always want to use blue to paint something blue. Find a painting or photo with orange predominating and color pick something that appears blue. That color will probably be a desaturated orangish hue that only seems blue because the surrounding oranges are more saturated. The light source shifts local color (what you'd see under white light), as though you're looking through tinted glass.

- Saturation (color richness) tends to decrease with brightness. Look at the highlight on a nose, for example, and you'll find it's a brighter and paler color than the surrounding midtones.

- Saturation affects color temperature. Desaturated warms look cooler, desaturated cools look warmer. Change saturation to tweak a color's temperature before changing the hue.

- The temperature of light is reversed in shadow. So cool light produces relatively warm shadows, and warm light produces relatively cool shadows.

- The darkest dark is often extremely saturated and warm, even in warm light.

- Muddy colors are the result of inappropriate color temperature.

Don't think of these as set-in-stone rules, but guidelines that hold true in most cases. And feel free to ignore my instructions. :P

If all this stuff seems overwhelming, just remember you only have to focus on one thing at a time. You can do studies on individual aspects of color and combine that knowledge later. Feel free to let me know if I said something confusing. James Gurney and Richard Schmid cover the above and more in their books, and probably explain everything more clearly than I did.

Congrats on that job, and enjoy your holiday!
Sheepy book of arts (sheep and sheep accessories not included)
Lambs
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Carmel » Sat May 10, 2014 9:33 am

@Lambs - thank you so much for taking the time to write this out! I have copies of "Alla Prima" and "Colour and Light" but what you have said is much clearer (I find the books quite overwhelming). I didn't read this before doing the colour study I have posted here, but I will in my future paintings. I shall refer to this post often!

I hope this post finds everyone well. I've had a rough week; job interview that was rocky but I got the job (means moving country soon). I've been working on the illustration/desgin job most of the time. I was sick this week too, an eye infection, so not as much as I'd hoped to get done. So here are some anatomy studies, a watercolour painting and a photo study. Have a great day!
Attachments
muay-thai-gym-photostudy.jpg
muay-thai-gym-photostudy.jpg (53.81 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
sb-10-5-1.jpg
sb-10-5-1.jpg (22.31 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
sb-10-5-2.jpg
sb-10-5-2.jpg (59.56 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
sb-10-5-3.jpg
sb-10-5-3.jpg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
Shaolin-monk-small.jpg
Shaolin-monk-small.jpg (30.58 KiB) Viewed 5922 times
Carmel

Postby Carmel » Sun May 11, 2014 2:04 am

I used http://stock-image.mediafocus.com/images/previews/portrait-beautiful-woman-looking-right-side-dr111215251.jpg as a ref for this pic. I'm so proud of the values and colours - and the finish. Please c&c!
Attachments
imagined-head-study-smal.jpg
imagined-head-study-smal.jpg (12.52 KiB) Viewed 5892 times
Carmel

Postby Luna » Sun May 11, 2014 11:46 am

Dear Carmel, your artwork looks quite good for me~ keep working! (一起努力!o(∩_∩)o )! --> 我不知道怎樣用英語才能表達這句話的真正感情,所以直接用了Chinese寫:P
謝謝你^_^ Very nice to see your artwork here! I will working hard with you in the same time! (*^__^*)
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Lambs » Mon May 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Hey! I'm glad my post was helpful.

Great variety in that big batch of studies. As for the portrait, I like that you changed certain details from the reference picture. When drawing from reference it's a good idea to analyze instead of just copy. Think about why things look the way they do. Definitely feel free to modify what you observe, as long as you understand what you're changing and why!

If you want some specific hints for portraits, I made a couple of posts about that: 01 02
Lambs

Postby Tobes » Thu May 15, 2014 5:29 am

your studies are looking really nice
Tobes

Postby omer sharon » Fri May 16, 2014 4:45 am

hi carmel, your stuff are really good nad you are defenetly on the right track! looks like your doing all the right things as value studies and anatomy (btw i realyl love the monk, maybe try and do more paintings with that style)
looking at mon apr 28, i think maybe you should still practice a little bit shading with pencils the basic forms such as spheres, and cubes, just to get a better grasp of it.
keep it up youre really doing very well :]
just my humble sketchbook :]
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=578
omer sharon

Postby Carmel » Sat May 17, 2014 9:40 am

@ luna - 谢谢你的好词。 一起努力- 应该是‘'let's work hard together'吧? 我也不是太清楚哈哈。 你住在中国吗?因为你用繁体字。

@ lambs - thanks for the links! I've been checking them out but I only really saw them today. Expect progress on these later :D the 'assaro head' is something I've been looking for for a while! So glad I know what it's called now! :D

@ tobes - thank you :D

@ omer sharon - oh yeah, the pencils in that pic are grim haha. I'll work on that too, thanks for the suggestion!

I hope that everyone is doing well. I booked myself onto the classical drawing workshop at LARA in July. I can't wait. There's a bunch of stuff I have to do before that, mostly stuff for the day job (I'm a language teacher). I'm saving up to sign onto their full time course in Sept. 2015.

It was my mum's birthday this week, so I painted her a chicken. Sorry that there aren't any more photo studies or digital paintings - the digital work I'm doing can't be shown :'(
Attachments
mum-birthday-chickens-small.jpg
mum-birthday-chickens-small.jpg (33.7 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
alex-sketch.jpg
alex-sketch.jpg (33.01 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
knight-out-of-armour-sketch.jpg
knight-out-of-armour-sketch.jpg (26.13 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
chicken-sketch.jpg
chicken-sketch.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 5788 times
Carmel

Postby V3T » Tue May 20, 2014 9:31 am

I'm not sure why... But I love the chicken..
I'm the last person in the world that should be allowed to crit anyone, but I think some of your drawings could benefit from a better rendering technique. You could try just hatching, put alot of effort into each line to define the form. Look at Wes Burts drawings for some examples =]
V3T

Postby Lambs » Fri May 23, 2014 4:22 am

Those chickens are the best.

More updates! :D
Lambs

Postby Pou » Sun May 25, 2014 8:03 am

Hey carmel! About color it's really reliant upon values so don't worry tooooo much about it. until you feel youre in a comfortable spot with the values, if you are now thats great ahhah. I know it's difficult with traditional media but maybe try lighter layers being selective, to get more variety of hues and values in there. It's tricky stuff. Otherwise looking awesome :D
Pou
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Carmel » Mon May 26, 2014 11:08 pm

@ v3t - Thank you for the heads up on Wes Burt - I'm working on my rendering. I think part of it is the paper I'm using, it's got a bit too much grain to it. I'm thinking of getting a moleskine again, but I found them quite limiting for using colour in. I'm glad you like the chicken and I think you give good ctits!

@ Lambs - Thanks mate, and yes. More updates on the way. I'm not managing to keep up with you on the studies atm though.

@ Pou - I'm still not 100% on my values but as i understand them better my colour is improving. Thanks for dropping by :D

My Asaro head is really lop sided. The project I'm doing at the moment is about 75% done. I hope you're all doing great.
Anatomy studies are from Loomis.
Attachments
sb-27-3.jpg
sb-27-3.jpg (64.71 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
sb-27.jpg
sb-27.jpg (48.11 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
sb-27-2.jpg
sb-27-2.jpg (59.5 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
asaro-head-1.jpg
asaro-head-1.jpg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 5699 times
Carmel

Postby Pou » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:28 am

Carmel I really like that value scale and fantastic working with the pencils. I can never get that grainy look for some reason. Maybe because I use mechanical pencils. Hope to see more deliciousness out of you soon lol.
Pou
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Luna » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:05 pm

The color of that "mum-birthday-chickens-small.jpg (33.7 KiB)" makes me feel the warmed heart (haha, I don't know how to describe it), Because the color used for Chicken 媽媽 are nice! I am looking forward more of your work, 親愛的Carmel ^_^
而且是好羨慕你呢! 我的偶像給您回覆了很多內容! 當然,那些comments 也also 對我很有幫助! x
Luna

Postby V3T » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:48 am

I always love seeing Asaro head studies, I have no idea why..
Maybe switching to smoother paper after your sketchbook runs out could help and get yourself a smll watercolor sketchbook for your colours!
Always remember, form form form!
V3T

Postby Carmel » Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:17 am

@ Pou - the grainy look is from the paper I used. I've since moved to a smoother sketchbook as this grain was difficult for drawing value studies on.

@ Luna - he gave you good comments in your SB too haha :D and I'm glad you like the chicken. My mum does too which is the main thing haha.

@ v3t - already there. I bought a new moleskine and I already have an old moleskine watercolour book. I'd heard a lot of good stuff about Stillman and Birn (the book the previous posts were drawn in) but I prefer the moleskine at the moment.

Hey guys, I hope you're all doing well. There's been a storm of productively on the forum that has made me feel jealous and inspired. The project I was working on is pretty much finished. It was a lot of work but I learnt a lot about composition and Photoshop workflow, techniques etc.
I can't wait until I get the go ahead to share it with you all :D

I finished my old sketchbook and bought a new moleskine. I've been drawing in it as much as I can. Hopefully this week will give me more chances to draw and paint. Let me know what you think!
Attachments
self-portrait-moleskine.jpg
self-portrait-moleskine.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
plein-air-playground.jpg
plein-air-playground.jpg (28.03 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
lady-knight-kel.jpg
lady-knight-kel.jpg (40.02 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
eugene-bernand-study.jpg
eugene-bernand-study.jpg (20.84 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
baumanskaya-flower-shop---web.jpg
baumanskaya-flower-shop---web.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
asaro-head-study-cw.jpg
asaro-head-study-cw.jpg (19.09 KiB) Viewed 5577 times
Carmel

Postby Luna » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:09 pm

^_^ o(∩_∩)o 哈哈! I have a Chicken Mum :P
You are very good for sketch (素描Sketch --> I don't know how to translate this exactly vocabulary for this 素描translation--> Your last 3 images are all 素描! what's the English word should be for 素描 then? :P)
Anyway, you 素描 is very nice! I like them, keep going!! x
Luna

Postby Carmel » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:23 am

@ Luna - yeah, sumiao is sketch :D thanks chick!

So guys, here's some painty stuff. I'm struggling with the background on the digital painting and the proportions are off. I want to push this one!

The b&w pics are me trying to clear my head. I'm going to do these more.
Attachments
gouache-pics-2.jpg
gouache-pics-2.jpg (39.64 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
gouache-pics-1.jpg
gouache-pics-1.jpg (43.65 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
dominance1.jpg
dominance1.jpg (15.9 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Carmel

Postby Luna » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:04 am

Cool! are they be scanned or you painted by Photoshop? :)
Anyway, 素描=Sketch, but 線描 等 those words how to translate then? Is there only One English word for them all (Sketch)? @_@
Thank you! :D
Luna

Postby Carmel » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:45 am

Luna - they are gouache, thick watercolour like paint - then I scanned them. And I don't know the words you used; xianmiao is more like a line drawing maybe? I really need to brush up on my chinese @_@

I've shelved the WIP from the previous post; there were too many anatomy issues. I'm working on a pic at the moment that I wasn't sure I was going to post a WIP of but I really could do with the feedback. I'm painting in greyscale and then using multiply layers and opaque layers to finish. If there's something you think I should/could change please let me know.
Attachments
consumption-prog7.jpg
consumption-prog7.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 5488 times
Carmel

Postby Tomskie » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:29 am

Good stuff man, i can see that you have observational skills the color will come in time ( and your already progressing in it as i see in the studies ). Man, i had to struggle alot with color/values cause i only worked with lines and only with lines! You can do it !:)) Just have patience very important thats what was in my case. Keep it up and show us your progress!
Tomskie
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby mister.guiang » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:57 pm

good start Carmel! i'm digging the traditional portraits in your first post :) as far as color goes in the last piece - try doing some still life studies in preparation for it. i know you mentioned you're doing some overlay/multiply layers with color but don't forget that the shadows shouldn't be a pure black - there needs to be some color saturation even in the shadows. think about bounced light pointing back towards the shadow as well to create a dynamic hue shift in the areas that direct light doesn't hit. don't worry tho, i'm struggling with color too :) keep going tho!

mike
mister.guiang

Next

Return to Sketchbooks