Fer's stairway to heaven

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Fer's stairway to heaven

Postby zerosete » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Welcome to this darkplace - I'm searching for enlightenment

Hi!! I'm Fernanda Camacho, 25, brazilian. I've always doodled and thought I could draw (haha!), but only started studying for real on December, 2013.
I love painterly styles, and although I want to learn proper lighting, proportion, etc, I do not think to go into realism.
A few of my inspirations, just so you can have an idea of where I want to go, are Lois van Baarle, Massimo Carnevale and Jon Foster. Fantastic, surreal and strong stuff. =] Also, I want to work with animation in a near future, so... there's that too!

I would like frank critiques and directions! Please help me see what I did wrong and what I need to study to make it right :) And thank you for the visit! :D

Some paintings on ps and some sketches:

Last edited by zerosete on Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:09 am, edited 3 times in total.
zerosete
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: Fer's stairway to heaven

Postby algenpfleger » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:08 am

hell yeah, good dedication! kee it up! paint from life more, do color studies with a flat brush and then paint from imagination afterwards to apply what you learned. go go go!
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby zerosete » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:40 am

Nice!!! Such an honour, master ;) Thank you for coming by and taking the time to reply! I tried playing today with a flat brush a little and yesterday I drew this girl that I painted from the bus stop.
Later I will probably post more stuff as I'll be spending some time traveling again to go to the Prado Museum, and I love just to sit at cafes when I go downtown and sketch...

zerosete

Postby Zakknart » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:35 pm

Keep posting little girl, we wanna see more.
Zakknart
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby zerosete » Tue May 13, 2014 2:04 am

Hey! My computer is fry... hahaha. Totally useless, so I haven't been around cause it would certainly be a pain to post from my mobile... (imagine that!)

Thanks, Zakk! I am back ;) I always come back, you know that.

I watched Disney's Peter Pan while playing cards with the little girl I take care of and... I realised that I always loved the appearance, the details of every character in that film. They are all very distinctive in gadgets, size, colours, clothes... So I started sketching the older brother in a pose I remembered from the film on the next day, holding his umbrella forward as if attacking and (you'll see what I mean) he seemed so cool! every part of him seemed thoroughly thought through (haha, unintentional tongue twister). And then I started sketching the other characters this week... I quite like Tinkerbell so far, though I think the baby is probably terribly deformed... I never drew babies before D: halp!!

Oh... and a tree, a dog and a bottle from life. And some facial expressions from what I've been watching on Aaron Blaise's channel on youtube. I love his videos!!

zerosete

Postby Zakknart » Thu May 15, 2014 3:44 pm

You already know what I think about all these artwroks, I just think you need draw and update your SB a bit more.
Come on, Nanda, It's all about your dreams, let's make more and more ^^
Zakknart

Postby zerosete » Sat May 17, 2014 8:12 am

I finished Tinkerbell... =] I really like it, even though her legs are a bit too big... her hands are big on purpose, but I guess I lost perspective and ended up enlarging everything else as well and forgetting the head, hahahhaa...
Anyway... bring it on, critiques?

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:24 am

Newest to oldest!

Been trying to find my style of painting :) feeling closer every step!! my goal is something like Jon Foster / Lois Van Baarle / Massimo Carnevale... chunky, colourful, full of movement and some serene breeze wrapping it all together with something more dramatic at times... like this cover by Massimo, for example.

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:09 pm

I'd reeeally appreciate some corrections on anatomy if you can provide it :) it's still a problem for me...
changed the face already with the painting, wasn't liking it!

zerosete

Postby Zakknart » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:40 am

Ahh, amazing stuff, my little piece of love =)
Zakknart

Postby zerosete » Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:59 am

I hadn't noticed I must have accidentally changed my phone camera settings to a lower quality until I uploaded them to my blog... oops!

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:42 pm

I painted a man!!!!!!!!!! hahahaha

I started off just trying to aid some dude on Level up! on fb, and went a bit farther than I'd planned :D
"process"... sort of... it was to help the guy with the basic construction, from the skull...

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:37 pm

need help! still haven't studied enough of anatomy... also... drawing men is totally alien to me!

:D

zerosete

Re: Fer's Darkplace - searching for enlightenment

Postby luisa » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi Fer, nice sketchbook that you have here! :)
Love that you try out different things with your characters, the last portrait of the man is really cool!
Your male anatomy knowledge isn't bad at all, it just needs a little more practice here and there. Can't do an overpaint right now (I'm on vacation), but I can try to describe with words what I mean. The two main problems seem to be 1. the position of the clavicle (should start at the pit of the neck) and the positioning of the head on top of the torso (should be centered, the head of the man of your drawing is slightly to the right) and 2. the hip region. It seems very small, I think it is because the right side of the hip is missing. The hip seems to go behind and under the belly, there is belly where there should be hip. Maybe do some studies of a photo in a similar position :-)

Hope it helps! :-)
luisa
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby zerosete » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey,Luisa!! Thank you for taking the time to visit my SB! :))) I'm going to take a look at those mistakes and I'll post again when I'm done :D
Thanks again!! Xx

About time I painted a new selfie! Last one was done in March I think... :)
I can't decide if I like it better with or without the anaglyph effect :P
Hope you like eeeet!

and here's a WIP!

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:32 am

Had about 20 or 30 free minutes now... the kids are watching the telly... bless!
So I was able to start with my first anatomy study :) quick one but I liked it!

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:44 pm

I managed to create a brush (somewhat) similar to the one SinixDesign uses in some of his youtube videos, and I was also watching his "draw like a painter" video (for seeing the shapes with light and shadow and forget the actual format of things ...)
So I tried doing that... and then did some gestures... :) this brush has so much energy! *-*

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:52 am

OH MY GOD... this feels so good. hahahahahaha

Let me explain... A few months ago my netbook basically went to waste when it said the disk was empty or something like that and I had to reinstall windows and all the drivers for it to work again and all... BUT the one driver that never worked... can you guess what it is??... yes. like the air we breathe - the internet adapter (FUUUUUUUUUUCK),... so I stopped using my shitty but in another time faithful 6-year-old tiny computer after the hundreth time I tried installing that new driver... I tried several ways to do it, several different files, and it just... it's dead. puff...
Later that month I moved to a new house here in Madrid to live with a new family and they let me use the wine cellar computer as I wish, this thing is practically mine now MUAHAHAHAHA!!! -- but there's a tintsy little detail: it has no keyboard. It's touch screen, so I have to either use my fingers on the screen (which would make my arms fall off after a couple of weeks) or pinch on every single letter with the mouse, which is what I've been doing... there are still two other options which I did use more than once - writting from my phone onto my blog and copying it everwhere or dictating in english to a friend of mine over skype. hahahahahahaha.... Damn. It's been a struggle.

So TODAY... I just borrowed the little boy's keyboard without asking while he's in school (he got a computer for his birthday a couple of weeks ago), and I'm gonna type myself to death today as you can see cause this just feels so good and so liberating!!!!!! It's like I'd been unable to speak for all these months... I didn't go nutts because I still had my phone and I could call people on skype and talk like human beings used to do. hahahaha

What this means, guys, is that I didn't mean to come across as arrogant or selfish by not commenting on your sketchbooks and leaving whatever critiques I was able to provide. I'm make up for it! And if you've read so far I thank you!! :D

------------------

So... for art... I don't really know what this is... hehehe I had just been testing a brush I'd created and ended up drawing a cat person sorta... and for a change I decided I'd finish it. hehehe
critics and comments are very welcome! My anatomy skills still blow big time!

And the dude... I just "inked" him... don't really know what to do though, if you have any corrections or ideas I'd be grateful to hear!! :)

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 am

Important things I told people today on their sketchbooks that might be useful for other people as well :D
(told you I wanted to make up for lost time! hehe)

about taking breaks and increasing productivity
anyway... I noticed you spend a few hours on your studies and that's brilliant and normal! but I wondered... do you take breaks? coffee breaks, stretching breaks, whatever? It's really important to give the brain some distraction every - let's say - 40 minutes of hard work and focus on one thing. When you come back your brain is fresh and you can actually see your mistakes better! Besides quality work, it also improves productivity because you don't push yourself to exhaustion!!
so... if you've never heard of it before, look for a technique called Pomodoro. You can actually add an extension to your chrome browser called "strict workflow". When you activate it it blocks websites (you can configure that) like facebook and youtube so you won't get distracted and procrastinate, and after 40 minutes it rings and tells you to stop working... you can do whatever you want in that break and then you tap the little tomato again and it starts you on your next round of work.
I found that my focus and my productivity increased greatly with this method and it prevented me from forgetting about the world for too many hours in a row while painting. I once forgot to eat or take a bathroom break for 10 hours!!!!!!! When I got up I almost tripped and fell cause my legs were cramping up badly... hahahahaha
So... Pomodoro, baby!!!

about receiving comments and critiques
take it into consideration and apply what you think will work for you!... one thing that I find greatly important in participating of forums:... you don't have to listen to every critique you get. you can ponder on what people tell you and decide for yourself if that's something you want for your art or not =)... it doesn't mean people are wrong, it just means you have a different outlook on where you want to go from where you are...
Once I got this really negative guy commenting in my sketchbook on conceptart.org and he just... politely said everything I did was shit. it just made me so freaking sad and angry... I actually let it affect me more than I should have and I stopped drawing as much.
So... don't listen to everyone. I don't know why I'm telling you this... maybe it just crossed my mind because I'm telling you so many things to do and to not do that I started feeling guilty :P hehehe

well... you know... do your thing, keep studying!! you're doing great!! we're artists, yay :D
zerosete

Postby Zakknart » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:24 am

Até que enfim conseguiu um teclado, mesmo que as escondidas :P
Quanto as artes... você já sabe o que eu penso ^^
Zakknart

Postby Luna » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:27 am

Dear zerosete, Thank you very much for those Nice nice advice!!! I really think your mentioned "Pomodoro" is a good thing! ^_^
(\____/)
/︿__︿\
(..(oo)..)
Little boy's keyboard~~ Ha! Good studies! your design is interesting and fun I would say. The color my teacher told me to do still life for that, I recommend if you would like you can do still life sometimes for helping your colors even better! @v@
HOHO! xxxxxxxxxx <3
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby zerosete » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:13 pm

This is my first... oh--wait! Second master study!!
The first one was the Birth of Venus... I'll post it underneath the one I did today: John William Waterhouse - Windflowers

I didn't realise I should have put the original as big as my canvas in order for the proportions and placing of things to be correct... so after I finished it I almost slapped my own fourhead at my stupidity xD and... after enlarging it I could see that some things are misplaced... =/

Whoooooa,... I'm not posting my study of the Birth of Venus here, but if you're curious you can check the following link:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9k_GfYRHr2s/V ... master.png

So awful!! That's from the end of January and it was probably an embarassing load of time that I spent on it...
zerosete

Postby zerosete » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:59 am

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:53 pm

Lady of Shalott - Waterhouse
aprox. 200 min (puf puf!)

Colours are a bit off... But, damn! This one was soooo hard...!!!

zerosete

Postby zerosete » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:33 pm

I have no computer at the moment so I've been using my dad's, my cousin's or my friend's computers when I can!! I have installed photoshop now on my dad's machine so I was able to paint!! Oh, how I missed it *-* (I have been sketching on paper ocasionally though).

So... Painting done on Photoshop CC... I'm trying out this version of PS and I quite like it!!

I've been working for some friends of mine making some flyers and general marketing for their restaurant/bar. It's a really beautiful place and I decided I should make them a pin up for this week's Double Chopp + Double Caipirinha day... There's also a cool band playing!

You can check the flyer here.

The floral pattern is by AboveVintage! Thank you for the resource!! I love it!

zerosete

Return to Sketchbooks