Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby forrestimel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 pm

So glad to see a replacement for CGhub, I love newly made forums because they usually start with such a huge lively community. I'll try to actually stay active on here, would hate to see this place go down.

Anyway, here's some of my recent finished pieces to start off the sketchbook :D

Last edited by forrestimel on Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Re: Forrest's Sketchbook of Wannabe Dreams!

Postby forrestimel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:02 pm

And here's some recent studies I've done and some progress on my entry for a challenge on another forum

forrestimel

Postby Alec_ » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:06 pm

Forrest stoked to see you on here as well! Dope paintings of course don't think i ever saw the first one i like the mood. And OMG! those new studies are amazing man keep killing it you inspire me! But you paint to many guys... :D
Alec_
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby alexnegrea » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:39 am

hi Forrest!

cool stuff you got going here:) the only advice i have for you is keep on doing this routine as long as you can and practice imagination drawings after each session:)

looking forward for more:)

alex
alexnegrea
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Postby Savi » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:54 am

The figure and Armour sketch sheets are rad, be awesome to see those last figures you posted rendered like your painted knight studies... all shiny and cool!
Savi
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby forrestimel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:38 am

@Alec_: duuuuuuuuude I do paint too many guys, even my woman in this post is manly looking. You should put your sketchbook link in your signature so I can stalk you man :D

@alexnegrea: thanks Alex, I was going to do an hour of armor studies and apply it today but this character took longer than I thought. But I'll for sure be posting armor studies tomorrow :)

@savi: ha, thanks savi :)

Here's everything I did today :P

forrestimel

Postby ATP » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:27 am

Hey man, loving your work; I love how comprehensive those early studies are and how you combined everything to make super-pictures as you go along. Also, kudos on actually writing notes on your studies. That's going to help loads when it comes to learning new things and checking errors - you're going to get loads more if you think about your studies instead of just grinding them.

Keep it up man, looking forward to more studies, awesomeness, and maybe a little more Ripley ;)
ATP
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby tehmeh » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 am

Goodness me you've improved, I remember all your efforts put in on the old CA sketchbook. Only thing I'd like to say is some of those faces are a bit overmodeled - they have clean darks, lights, high contrast - but usually a face isn't so sharply rendered by light; a bit of simplification could help.
tehmeh

Postby forrestimel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:16 pm

@ATP: Thanks :) Yeah writing notes has certainly helped a lot

@Tehmeh: Thanks tehmeh, I left a comment back on your sketchbook about the old CA sketchbook. And you're totally right about the faces, I've been trying to learn how to simplify things in shadow lately but I haven't really been applying that to faces I paint so I'll try that out now thanks :)

Here's stuff from today, all studies done for a bit of client work that hopefully I'll be able to post a WIP of tomorrow. I'm also working on a video talking about my study habits and what helps me personally learn the easiest way possible and it's going to basically go through the whole process of me making that lady knight in my last post so that'll be fun :D Hopefully that'll be done by the end of the week. Until then, more studies!

forrestimel

Postby Carmel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:42 pm

forrestimel wrote:Here's stuff from today, all studies done for a bit of client work that hopefully I'll be able to post a WIP of tomorrow. I'm also working on a video talking about my study habits and what helps me personally learn the easiest way possible and it's going to basically go through the whole process of me making that lady knight in my last post so that'll be fun :D Hopefully that'll be done by the end of the week. Until then, more studies!

I look forward to watching it, I find your process very interesting.
A great sketchbook here, I especially like your annotated screenshots/photos. I'm going to come back here to read up before I do my next photostudy.
Thanks for sharing :D
Carmel

Postby Joelhladky. » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:31 am

Hey man, Thanks for the crit in my book. Good eye, since you're right, I do need figure practice.

Nice book, could only wish I'd had your skill when I was 19. Very humbling, thankyou.

Your color homogeneity is super strong and I like how you really sculpt out your forms!

If you'd like some advice I'll return the favor. Your strength is also a weakness. Try and color something wrong. When you do a block in of a shape, rather than using your best guess... use something totally wrong, or a complimentary of you best guess. Then color in with what you think it is. Shadi does this in his tutorial on youtube. It'll will create color vibration within your piece and give it a little extra life.

Anyways, look forward to seeing what else you come up with, and I think your studies are really helping you out! Till next time!
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Postby eclip-se » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:39 am

Great stuff, analyzation is very important :)
eclip-se

Postby Crackedskull » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:00 am

Hey man, good to see you here aswell. Leading ladies piece is looking great.
Crackedskull

Postby forrestimel » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:15 pm

@Joelhladky: thanks :) I might try that the next time I doodle or experiment

@eclip-se: indeed! thank you :)

@Crackedskull: thanks :)

Slow day today, got some studies and some client work done, hopefully tomorrow will be a little better :P

forrestimel

Postby Will » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:19 am

Looking great dude!
Will

Postby forrestimel » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:46 pm

Thanks Will :)

Forgot to post last night, hopefully will have more stuff to post later tonight :p

forrestimel

Postby JakeB » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:23 pm

Another amazingly named sketchbook from Forrest ;). Looking good man, really like these super methodical studies you've been doing. The work you put into them really shows in your personal work. One thing with this recent piece, I think the figure's getting flattened out a little bit. Possibly just the combination of the torso direction with the straight arm, and the almost perfect profile face is making it look a bit 'flyswatted'. Maybe if you can get a bit more foreshortening in there, that'll help? On the front leg maybe?

I know that's not super helpful, just thought I'd mention. Sure whatever you do is gonna come out great. Keep it up man. :)
JakeB
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Dani » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 pm

Great work-- I love your colors! I especially like the unconventional mix of purple and green in the image of the man on the skull throne. Your character drawings are also very fluid... and is that a 3D maneuver gear with your gestures? :)

Cool stuff, keep it up!
Dani

Postby jeremygordonart » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:21 am

Awesome work in here! The notes on the studies are very helpful too, thanks for sharing : )
jeremygordonart
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby JacobJanerka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:29 am

Awesome studies man, you can see them really coming out in your final pieces.

Probably a bit to late now unless you wanna revamp it, but possibly consider the narrative a bit more next time. At the meoment she kinda looks like she is posing for the camera, if she was stalking prey/someone she possibly could be hunched over slightly, kinda like this http://www.tribalartbrokers.net/mybeady ... 8/san1.jpg, maybe not so dramatic but you get the idea. Hope that helps man.

Keep pushin it.
JacobJanerka

Postby Pooka » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:21 am

You're pretty good. The only two things I can really say are that you tend to favor dark palettes and that your paintings look too smooth. Maybe try a more colorful or warm palette for your next painting and don't be afraid to try more textures.
"Talent is a wonderful thing, but it won't carry a quitter." Stephen King

My sketchbook
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=450
Pooka

Postby zazulathi » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:56 pm

Hey, nice work in here, great final pieces and studies...one thing I may suggest is I think you need to work on your composition a bit more, a lot of your pieces seem cropped very tightly...there is no space to breath in some of them... also, I am not sure if its a problem, but I think many of your characters are looking slightly short...maybe experiment with different height and width characters? :) Keep up the great work!
zazulathi

Postby forrestimel » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:40 am

Oh lord lots of comments yay!

JakeB You're totally right man, I shifted the face a bit and it looks loads better. The rest of the body still seems a bit flat but not so much to where it really bothers me I suppose :p thanks!

Dani Thanks Dani :) And yes it is ha, got addicted to AoT not too long ago :)

jeremygordonart thanks :)

JacobJanerka You're totally right, I kinda wanted to go for a pose like a deer that heard something in the distance. Kind of upright and alert, but maybe I didn't nail it right or it was too strange of a pose. But you're right I do need to consider narrative more. Thanks :D

Pooka I did a really warm painting of Zeus in my first post? o.O I guess lately I've just kind of picked the color scheme that works best with whatever character or scene I'm painting. I see what you mean about smoothness though, I'll work on it, thanks :)

zazulathi Thanks! Yeah I do need to work on my comps, I'm going to get back into composition studies after this upcoming con I'm going to so hopefully that'll help. Hmm, I'm not sure if there's a specific character you're referring to or all of them, but I'll try and work on that too ha.

studies for client work and a finished piece of client work. I'm doin landscapes! :O Also a doodle :)

forrestimel

Postby depingo » Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:03 am

Hey Forrest :D
It's really interesting reading all those notes on your studies! They really seem to be helping too!
Overall, your poses seem a little stiff sometimes. It doesn't really have anything to do with motion, but with implied lines and the way the eye follows them.
Try doing a lot of really quick gestures where you describe the pose in only a single stroke. Then, after you've done tons of those, maybe move on to one stroke for each limb. (brush&ink or a brushpen works well for that) It might sound weird, but treating the entire body as a unit, as opposed to several interacting parts, should make you 'feel' the line of action better when you draw entire bodies again.
depingo

Postby Mark T » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:50 am

Good studies mate !
For the last one the mood is really nice, the face is fine though it's a bit too inexpressive, a slight work on the eyebrows could add a little bit of life to her (currently she looks like a doll)
But the main problem is the pose, it's really off, too many things are wrong :
The way that she hold the arrow and the bow, the leg position she looks like she's sitting on a stick.
Anyway keep up the good work !
Mark T

Postby JacobJanerka » Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:56 am

Awww yiss, wanna see some more! are you applying those enviro studies to anything?
JacobJanerka

Postby forrestimel » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:24 am

depingo Thanks Anna, I've been trying to fix my poses stiffness for awhile now and lately have been trying to focus more on the line of action and simplifying the limbs as well but it's hard to tell personally if it has helped my poses or not so far :P

Mark T Thanks Mark, your definitely right about the lack of expression. But I think I said it in someone else's reply earlier, I was kind of going for like a deer standing quick at attention sort of a pose and look but I didn't really pull it off. And as for the leg I was having her knee resting and her butt sitting on her lifted heel. But yeah that arm pulling the bow is messed up xD

JacobJanerka applying them to some client work yep :)

Not much for today unfortunately :/ I'm a slacker, shoot me now.

forrestimel

Postby wartynewt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:57 am

Hey there! Great sketchbook you've got heree, i love all the studies and your illustrations are looking really nice! :)
Take a look at my sketchbook :) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=532
wartynewt

Postby zazulathi » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:31 pm

Not all of your characters look like that, just some, I'd just keep it in mind :) Most your stuff looks pretty damn cool!
zazulathi

Postby forrestimel » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:28 am

wartynewt thank you :)

zazulathi oh alright, well thanks for letting me know. I think I do have a problem with proportions :/ and thanks :)

Not much, again. I do have some other things I worked on today other than client work, but it's getting late and I decided I'll just finish it tomorrow instead :P

forrestimel

Next

Return to Sketchbooks