Mr. Owl's Pellets

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

Mr. Owl's Pellets

Postby Joelhladky. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:34 am

Hello, this is pleasant. Was just thinking it would be nice to post art on a forum. The last time I'd done so was about 6 or 7 years ago on Conceptart.org under the handle OBX. I've patiently waited for a new progress orientated forum to arise and it seems that the time has finally come.

You can check that ancient thing out here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php/48039-OBX-s-Outer-Body-eXperiences

Welcome to my sketchbook. I'll post in here just about any dumb random thing I've drawn that day. It might be shitty, and it might be good. Let me know what you think will make me more successful. Thanks! Looking forward to contributing.

Here's some stuff from the past couple years.

Selfie.
portrait of a friend.
Random card I'm doing for a in independent board game designer.
Commission I did for a friend.
Portrait study (characterdesigns.com)
Another study gone wrong. (stefan grosjean - Caprice)
Lol... Couple o' douche bags.

Thanks for looking and commenting, I look forward to replying!
Last edited by Joelhladky. on Thu May 14, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 17 times in total.
"Wels al Learn" - Bo peng (Doctore)

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.
Level 9: Spotted Seal

Re: A.D.D.D. - Attention.Deficit.Drawing.Disorder.

Postby Durandal » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:57 am

Boss stuff, man! I'm trying to find something to critique but I can't see any consistent issues popping in in these images. Keep doin' what your doin' I guess!
Dylan Safford
Website / Sketchbook / Facebook
Durandal
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:39 pm

monksketch4wip.jpg
wip of new card
monksketch4wip.jpg (486.89 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

A new card for the independent board game I'm working on. Still a little ways to go for it. This is supposed to be a monk class character. I have yet to add a few elements and then figure out the cast shadows but the overall design of the character is pretty finalized. Any feedback will be noted, but I'm mostly looking for final tweaks, the primary concept and overall look/feel is pretty finalized. I'll still be adding candles along the trees and bowls of incense with a reed parchment hung behind the monk.

Also, here are two more designs that are finished.
branded_ranger.jpg
branded_ranger.jpg (242.67 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

branded_phalanx.jpg
branded_phalanx.jpg (426.38 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

anviwip1.jpg
Wip
anviwip1.jpg (277.64 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

And this is a wip of my own personal piece. Trying to push the lighting and my reference as far as it'll go. I'm using a self shot ref of my sister and her friend.
DPP_0170-copy.jpg
DPP_0170-copy.jpg (503.77 KiB) Viewed 7718 times

And a fun little piece I was doing for a friends african artshow. Never submitted it since I wasn't really satisfied with it. But heck, this is a sketchbook so I'll post it here, you get to see all the ugly bits along with the good. Was playing with brushes for the most part and really approached it as I would have a study.

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:34 pm

study4.jpg
study4.jpg (142.44 KiB) Viewed 7687 times

Study I did today.
Recording is here>>> http://youtu.be/QlaYmuzApx4

Made it low res, so I wouldn't get to bogged down blending the paint. Was able to render fairly easily with a simple hard round opaque brush for the most part. Lasso and soft round for sharp edged gradients. Reference is in the video if you want to see it. Random pic off tumblr.

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby forrestimel » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Nice stuff so far Joel, your studies seem to look really good in comparison to your personal work though. I'm not sure if you're doing much anatomy or figure studying but you could definitely benefit from it. It kind of seems like you're a bit of a detail junkie and that's totally cool, but details will never beat good ole' fashion solid fundamentals. So if you can you should try and invest a little bit of time into going through Loomis or Hampton books, I think it could be really helpful towards the characters you're painting. Not only going through books but taking some time to do gesture drawings can help too, all of your character paintings show the person standing there and looking off to the side or something. I think doin gesture drawings could help increase your visual library and spark some other ideas for poses when you work from imagination.

Hope I could help, keep postin :)
forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:37 pm

Hey, just gonna post some studies I did today. Working on hips, I feel I have difficulty grounding my characters and I know I have a lack of understanding of the hips so by hunch I think they're linked...

Check out this http://www.referencereference.com/index.html, I think it's great for finding figure refs, I just screencap the videos and then sketch'em out in photoshop.

study5.jpg
study5.jpg (356.44 KiB) Viewed 7640 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:42 pm

Here's a WIP of a commission I was asked to do for Adora artblog: http://growabrain.tumblr.com/

The father publishes images of his daughter and asks artist to submit renderings of the images. Theres so much trash on the internet I actually found myself quite humbled to be asked to be a part of it. Any suggestions I'd love to hear you, it's pretty wide open for me. I'm titling the piece My Moon and Stars.

Mymoonandstars.jpg
Mymoonandstars.jpg (461.25 KiB) Viewed 7618 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Fri May 02, 2014 10:06 pm

Mymoonandstars2.jpg
Mymoonandstars2.jpg (435.57 KiB) Viewed 7597 times

Here's the final that I submitted. Was a real pleasure to work on!

The time lapsed footage of the whole process: http://youtu.be/dAwPwph6XpY

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Tobes » Sat May 03, 2014 4:50 am

Super good portraits brah. Do you have any work on canvas around?
Tobes
Level 6: Mediterranean Monk Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed May 14, 2014 2:26 pm

Tobes: Thanks pal. Nah, I literally haven't drawn on paper or canvas for years now. Everything I do is digital, kinda sad, but it really is my first love. The time I get to draw is limited so when I do I want to accomplish as much as possible in as short a period of time. Painting is just too messy and time consuming so I do it in photoshop. Nothing against traditional canvas and paper, in fact I have mad respect for it. Thanks again for the post and comments!

Some practice stuff, getting to really love the pen tool now that I have the hang of it. The gestures are shit in my opinion, was not in the groove and very out of practice when I did them. Also had it on a 30sec timer, should have slowed it up a bit since I hadn't done them in a long time. More anatomy, I know I'm weak when fleshing out the pelvic areas and with legs/feet since I don't always think my characters look grounded enough. The form practice stuff is just that... form practice, and also coz I plan to get more into doing environments. I hate doing them because I suck at them and they take forever for some reason. People are so much more exciting to draw... at least that's the way it feels for me. Thanks for looking/commenting/critiquing! Oh yeah, they last piece is the Monk card illustration. Changed the lighting, got lazy and wanted to finish it.

study7.jpg
study7.jpg (182.38 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

study8.jpg
study8.jpg (152.1 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

study9.jpg
study9.jpg (138.69 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

study10.jpg
study10.jpg (96.81 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

study11.jpg
study11.jpg (141.68 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

monksmallfinal.jpg
monksmallfinal.jpg (472.17 KiB) Viewed 7557 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Tobes » Wed May 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Hey man, great studies. Nice lighting on that last piece. I dont have any crits because Im leaning this stuff myself. Great to see an update. thanks for the answer on the last question btw. Its always nice to have traditional work around. Im hoping to move onto paints when I have the extra space to the materials, Iv been telling myself that's why im not painting right now anyway, at least not a branch away from water colours. anyway man, awesome stuff, looking forward to updates. Cheers
Tobes

Postby Lambs » Wed May 21, 2014 1:40 am

Hey, looking good! I'd love to see you keep pushing through with those studies. You can never do too many.
Sheepy book of arts (sheep and sheep accessories not included)
Lambs

Postby Joelhladky. » Sun May 25, 2014 1:46 pm

Lamb: Thanks pal, I'll definitely keep working on studies. I do quite a few with each new painting I make, but I don't really post that much of them. I'll definitely take your encouragement and bust out more!

Tobes: Crit or not crit, it's nice hearing feedback, Thanks.

So some random sketch is all I got today. Concepting a few designs as well for the next centaurus card.

sketchbook3page123.jpg
sketchbook3page123.jpg (280.26 KiB) Viewed 7508 times

A Trevor Claxton inspired sketch thingy. Could be a ninja turtle, not really sure myself. Was really refreshing to just sketch and go. haven't done that in a long time. Hope to fill my book up with more sketch stuff and less studies. I'm kinda finding the studies in everyone's books becoming a little mundane. Really want to see more sketchy concept stuff. I personally found that the most inspiring back in the CA.org days, especially with dudes like Djurdjevic and Wesley Burt posting stuff. Now don't get me wrong, studies are good, but I'm not that keen on showing them off to everyone, it's kinda like going to the gym and then bragging about all the weights you lifted afterwards....

elementalistconcepts1.jpg
elementalistconcepts1.jpg (193.14 KiB) Viewed 7508 times
This is a sheet of fashion designs I busted out in preparation for the next centaurus character.

Thanks for checking my stuff out!

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Lambs » Mon May 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Hi! "sketchbook3page123.jpg" is badass. I love everything about it.

I enjoy seeing people's studies because I'm interested in the bones of things. I get more out of the old master's sketches than their finished works.

I used to spend hours looking at mind blowing art in total despair because I had no idea how anyone could make such powerful images. There's a lot of misinformation about the role of natural talent. Next to that there's barely any information about the necessary technical skills and how to develop them, or at least that's how it seemed. I wasted so many years out of touch and confused, and many more after I'd grasped the staggering amount of work that separated me from the incredible artists I looked up to.

That's why Hannes' ConceptArt sketchbook is so intensely motivating for me. He showed not just what it takes to reach a professional level but how he got there. Many of us aren't that far along, and that's OK. Studies reveal a lot about artists' knowledge and weak points. If were trying to help each other improve, it makes sense to share all the ugly evidence of our hard work.

Now make more awesome stuff! :D
Sheepy book of arts (sheep and sheep accessories not included)
Lambs

Postby mister.guiang » Mon May 26, 2014 8:29 pm

great posts Joelhladky! no doubt you would make a great character designer (that monk piece is what told me so)! haha but anyway i could definitely understand where you're coming from in just spamming a sketchbook with just studies and more interested in seeing ideas and other works. to each their own. i definitely don't mind seeing a sketchbook full of studies and another with all imaginative work and then a mix of both, but i guess if you really want to improve, it wouldn't hurt to post your studies that way feedback/crits would be easier to pinpoint. in a suggestion to your gestures - i think time interval doesn't matter so much but definitely starting with fast times (30 sec, 1m, 2m, etc.) is a nice way to loosen up and then ease into the longer poses. also, i think when doing your gestures - have a specific goal in mind of what you're trying to achieve for that practice period; will you be focusing on action lines, proportion, shadow shapes, structure, muscle placement, etc. you don't have to tackle all those at once but i only recently started picking up these short-term goals during gesture drawing and it really does help improving one aspect of your art. anyway, that is a long rant... looking forward to future updates!

mike
mister.guiang
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Hey, everyone, thanks for the words of wisdom and mild responses considering the little rant I did a few post back. Really appreciate it.

Working on the next centaurus card. Here are a few iterations of the opening stages. Trying to work out the figure and how I want them to be posed. Had some excellent help and feedback from Forrest Imel.

Ended up with a totally different pose, but thats ok, time was not wasted. I grew in my understanding of imaginative figure design and built a deeper understanding of the characters design. Things became faster with each variation.

elementalist1.jpg
elementalist1.jpg (122.17 KiB) Viewed 7397 times

elementalist2.jpg
elementalist2.jpg (61.52 KiB) Viewed 7397 times

elementalist3.jpg
elementalist3.jpg (80.27 KiB) Viewed 7397 times

elementalist4.jpg
elementalist4.jpg (412.67 KiB) Viewed 7397 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby mister.guiang » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:15 am

great update Joel. digging the details on this latest character :) i know you don't really post as much studies but what was the prep work you did in coming up with the design? regardless, keep it up! can't wait for the finished render.

mike
mister.guiang
Level 7: Leopard Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:37 pm

Mister guiang - Hey Mike, Thanks for the continual feedback! Really appreciate it. I'm really stoked to post the finished render when I'm done since I'm really liken the direction with the piece after redrawing it for the umpteenth time. I'll be sure to make a process break down for you when I'm done it. Prep work usually consists of scouring the internet for reference, and I asked the client for a reference sheet as well so I can get an idea of what they want to see too. I try and marry my image with theirs in the end. But I pretty much had free reign with this one. Trevor Lehmann, they guy behind centaurus is really chill and easy going which keeps the process enjoyable.

In short, I posted some thumbnails from earlier which I made after the reference collection. I then did a mannequin pose in zbrush to get an idea of what I wanted. Tried to draw on top of it but that didn't work out so hot. So I shot a ref of my sister wearing a bathrobe mutilated it in photoshop and then did a sketch on top. That's pretty much what you're seeing in the latest iteration with a few pictures mashed down over a zbrush render to get an impression of the colors and stuff. Then comes the long and agonizing renderstage! (this is my favorite part)

Here's a sketch of I did tonight. Some style exploration for a comic I want to draw called insectomass.
insectosketch8.jpg
insectosketch8.jpg (469.9 KiB) Viewed 7293 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby matthew » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:38 am

Really expressive work. I like it :)
On elementalist4.jpg I think the perspective of the background and the character don't match. It looks like
he is falling towards us. Guess the figure's horizon is noticeably higher.
And I think you could improve your characters' poses. In some of your illustrations they look a bit stiff and forced.
Anyway, keep it up!
matthew
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Luna » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:36 am

I really really like your art "sketches"! @_@
very nice feeling each of them! Although for a good artist like you, I shouldn't say "keep it up"~ But I want to say "Keep it up!" →▽→ because one can make you study more, One Can Make me seeing more Awesome studies!!●▽● Lovely, Lovely, good artist!
"Keep it up!" ^.^
x
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:10 am

Matthew - Thanks for the compliment! I will see about the horizon, that's an old iteration and the new one is fixed I think... lol! Yeah, I need to get back to being more dynamic, I used to draw a lot looser, but a bit of OCD makes me draw really stiff. I can definitely use the figure practice too. I think I get an pose in my head and try really hard to bend the figure into position but it's usually too late after I've rendered too much. Thanks again for the comments! have a good one.

Luna - Thank you for the very kind and flattering words. Still have a long way to go just like everyone else. I guess I should make you see more awesome studies though! haha.

another sketch for an IP I want to make. Not that happy with it but here it is anyways...

insectosketch9.jpg
insectosketch9.jpg (430.94 KiB) Viewed 7184 times

another one

insectosketch5-2.jpg
insectosketch5-2.jpg (454.64 KiB) Viewed 7184 times

and this is a photoslam I made as a reference/design search for the preacher character on the next Centaurus card.

photoslam1.jpg
photoslam1.jpg (244.63 KiB) Viewed 7184 times

and a tease of the elementalist

elementalisttease.jpg
elementalisttease.jpg (278.05 KiB) Viewed 7184 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:24 pm

Some line studies from tonight.

study14.jpg
study14.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 7170 times

study13.jpg
study13.jpg (124.03 KiB) Viewed 7170 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby AdrienneRose » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:54 am

I love your last studies, the line-work and the cross hatching. They are beautiful. Your portraits too are really unique and fun! You're definitely inspiring! Thanks for sharing!
AdrienneRose
Level 0: Southern Fur Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:05 am

Adrienne - Thanks for the kind words! I think I'm going to be shifting towards more line work since I do want to make a comic. Feel like I need to really master it.

Just some lame demon face I did. Trying to establish a workflow from from 3d to 2d. Not very convinced that this one worked out... keyshot creates lighting that is much too complex. I think I'm going to stick with the zbrush materials I normally use and give it another shot. The lighting is simpler and more comic-like since I only really work with one or two light sources.

korune1.jpg
korune1.jpg (150.24 KiB) Viewed 7121 times

Here are the keyshot renders I worked with...

korune1.jpg
korune1.jpg (326.19 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

korune1-3.jpg
korune1-3.jpg (290.74 KiB) Viewed 7119 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 pm

hey, little schematic drawing of a weapon concept for my own IP I'm developing.

tribinder.jpg
tribinder.jpg (198.53 KiB) Viewed 7005 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby jeremygordonart » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:45 pm

Really cool concepts in here, especially love the painting of the girl in the pink blanket. Looking forward to more stuff from you!
jeremygordonart

Postby Joelhladky. » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:19 pm

Jeremy - Thanks man! glad you like it! Keep letting me know what you think of things, and thanks for dropping by, very much appreciated.

This is a study that I ended up playing with way too much. Really fun stripping out the colors and working directly in BnW. Focused more on dropping down energy loaded strokes yet keeping a certain level of render/realism evident. The rest is just playing around with various finishing layers and techniques I've seen used out there and some I just made up myself... Perhaps I'll put together a process if anyone is interested. Thanks.

sketchbook3page128.jpg
sketchbook3page128.jpg (307.95 KiB) Viewed 6910 times

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Joelhladky. » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:30 pm

sketchbook3page129.jpg
sketchbook3page129.jpg (455.14 KiB) Viewed 6871 times

Another one of these black and white studies tonight. Playing around with trying to get a more brushy photographic look. Again, really fun.

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Postby Palladium » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:06 pm

Whats up Joel:D These last updates are great man, what happened with elementalist painting man?
Draw draw draw

Draw draw draw

Eric needs to DRAW DRAW DRAW

-DO NOT CLICK THIS

- DA
Palladium
Level 10: Ribbon Seal

Postby Joelhladky. » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:40 pm

Eric - Thanks pal! Well, here you go, I just finished this, approx. 36 hours. Took me forever! had to do little bits here and there between studies and other commitments!

Here first before anywhere else!

And in depth process shots with description as promised:

So this is the design thumbnail I redid from the originals... check a few posts back to see. I took the elements we liked and mocked them up into a singular image.
elementalistconcepts2.jpg
elementalistconcepts2.jpg (34.32 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

Study...
study1.jpg
study1.jpg (180.86 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

From here I proceed to sketch everything out and do some fashion design. I try and figure out the colors and what I really want to draw at this phase. I redraw a bunch here, as the commitment level is still rather low. I ended up trashing everything, after realizing how much trying to stick to the 3d model screwed me over. Ended up shooting some real refs, posed myself but I didn't want to use my body type. (I'm freakin tall... 6'5" or 2m...) I ended up getting my sister to wear a bathrobe and some props. This worked out much better since I'd have female proportions. At the outset of the centaurus project Trevor the game's creator has a vision for muted gender design to counter the gender exploitative design that is the norm in the board gaming world. So rather than androgenizing everything, which neither of us really liked the idea of, we decided to "mute" the design or "mask" it. You'll notice that in previous centaurs illustrations they are almost all wearing masks or have parts of the face covered... in fact I think the elementalist is the first fully revealed face of the bunch. So with each piece I set out with a set gender but variate the fashion or pose to give a subtle idea of gender without outright saying so. For instance the ranger and gladiator images are both sketched using feminine proportions. Were as the phalanx and monk are sticking more towards masculine proportion. So a long story short, using my sister as ref is much better because of this.

Elementalprocess1.jpg
Elementalprocess1.jpg (393.7 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

Now to establish a setting/BG...
So I hate environments... like, a lot. They are my kryptonite. I get bored to death doing them. So, I go into a program I have loads of fun with, Zbrush and utilize it to build some bump mapped images. I composite them much in the same way other people composite phototextures... except that I made mine, and I can already set the lighting information the way I want it from the get go. I use photo's but mostly only to add texture onto a surface, I think the only place that I "cheated" and ever so slightly was with the clouds.

Elementalprocess2.jpg
Elementalprocess2.jpg (446.04 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

Now more studies before I go to render out my figure:
Got the idea to burn half the face to mask the gender so I did a burn study
study2.jpg
study2.jpg (61.5 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

Trying to understand how a cloak or slicker works
study3.jpg
study3.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

And environmental lighting on a face
study4.jpg
study4.jpg (43.69 KiB) Viewed 6768 times

More in the next post.
Last edited by Joelhladky. on Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sketchbook
Joelhladky.

Next

Return to Sketchbooks