eclip-se Sketchbook

Brutal critiques and constructive feedback! Help others and get help back!

eclip-se Sketchbook

Postby eclip-se » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:47 am

Stuff from last two years: http://michalmacko.com/?page_id=48 now it's time to paint :)
eclip-se
Level 2: Steller Sea Lion

Re: eclip-se Sketchbook

Postby eclip-se » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:36 pm

astala.gif
astala.gif (255.44 KiB) Viewed 3040 times
eclip-se

Postby eclip-se » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:42 pm

eclip-se

Postby Nickson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:57 am

A large part of painting is giving the impression of form, using value to sculpt the subject. I think the few paintings you've put up show you're looking at the value itself, and not what it represents. Try to represent the material of the subject matter, just coping down the values you see on the reference without much thought won't teach you too much. This is a nice little example
Break down the reference into planes, observe, and think about why they are lit they way they are.

The step before the final on your process gif is much better IMO. You painted over the gradients man!
I'm liking the pencil studies too, try applying them to some original works, and see where your knowledge falls short. Keep at it!
Nickson

Postby eclip-se » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:53 am

Nickson: Hey nick! Basicaly, i've no pass skill in painting and it feels weird for me whenever i try to paint, i am never sure about what exactly im doing or what i am after and so it feels like i am again at the beginning and have to start somwhere before my sight will become wider and sharper :/ The photostudy started with pressure sensitivity turned on and later i decided to turn it off (the moment you saw the overlaping gradients), from that point i wanted to focus mainly on the values and after, go with the blending because whit that i also dont have much experience digitally. The whole digital stuff feels weird for now and i need to addapt it, it's like with piano, i've learned the scales(draw) but i cant read the music(paint) they both works together. Next time before any study i will do the analyzation first similar to this one before painting to understand more. I'm thankful for you visit mate! ;)
Attachments
imagination_study_valuestudy.jpg
imagination_study_valuestudy.jpg (336.31 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
eclip-se

Postby xynree » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:55 am

Great start here! I like your delicate linework with the pen/pencils. You seem to be working at it pretty hard too, so all I can say is keep at it b: Don't forget to try to apply what you know to finished things from your imagination as well! good luck
xynree

Postby eclip-se » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:52 am

xynree: Yo! :) Hell yeah, lineweight is superpowerful tool and it's something that should be mastered definitely. Uhm, i need to find better balance when studying and applying the knowlege because, damn i am very bad at it, not to mention staying too much in comfort zones. Thanks for your stop!
eclip-se

Postby telohs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:32 am

>Uhm, i need to find better balance when studying and applying the knowlege because, damn i am very bad at it, not to mention staying too much in comfort zones.

Know that feel all too well.
I think having benchmarks will help you with this, after studying legs try doing them from mind, or set up various names and then draw them.
Like:

- Draw quadriceps from 10 different angles around 360degrees

or something like that, animating stuff would be a good idea too.

Always try to think about what you're doing when drawing from imagination. I sometimes tend to just shut down my brain when doodeling, not a good idea.

Also, you need to do more gestures. Do 50-100 a day.

I'm sort of hypocritical right now, I must say.. I fail to do lots of these things, but you could consider them at least.
telohs
Level 1: New Zealand Fur Seal

Postby Tastenkasten » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:21 am

Very nice lines and anatomy studies! People here gave you already great advice. If you ask me, drawing is more important than painting, so it's a good thing to stick to drawing first I'd say. Do lots of painting but don't neglect the drawing. :) and like telohs said, do lots of fast gestures and try to draw those same gestures from your head and than try to make up your own poses. Think about line of action and what your figures are about to do. Keep up the hard work! :D
Tastenkasten
Level 3: Hooded Seal

Postby Jaikamat » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:46 am

Great advice here in this sketchbook, and your work ethic is looking really tremendous. Keep going with the structural drawing, but never let it replace observation, otherwise things can turn too stiff. Great work!
Jaikamat

Postby forrestimel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:14 pm

Hey eclip-se, good start to your sketchbook on here :)

You mentioned staying in your comfort zone and finding it hard to find time to apply the knowledge you learn. And it looks to me almost like you might be avoiding the applying part, there are a ton of drawings from life and tons of studies of leg anatomy that you've done. In the time it took to do ALL of that you could have definitely taken a few minutes to do a couple things from imagination, especially with the leg stuff.

I think a good bit of advice I can give is try to get into the habit of knowing that when you do a study or studies, don't just call it done after you've finished the study. Include whatever you do from your imagination afterward to help apply the new knowledge as the study as well, because both of those things are crucial to solidifying what you want to learn.

As for getting out of comfort zones just pick stuff to draw, I feel like there's always that little voice in your head that tells you nah I don't want to draw that. Those are usually the things that you've never drawn before or think you wouldn't be interested in it, but you'll never know unless you do it. And soon, by branching out into other things that you might want to draw your visual library will expand and you'll become the all powerful ruler of art... basically.

Anyway, hope I could help :P Keep posting, you're doin good
forrestimel
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby Crackedskull » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:45 pm

Keep workin hard.
Crackedskull
Level 5: Grey Seal

Postby eclip-se » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:45 pm

Havent painted :/

Wow, so many comments! It pumps me but also sucks off the will lol, i've got this pretty often if someone write a critique. On the one side im very happy for it and on the other it feel like i didnt worked enough and i am again at the beginning. It delivers both, happines and sadness, dunno why :)
I've revisited the the roots which was the gesture drawing for 30-60seconds, i've done them almost every day in the first months when i started learning to draw and they helped alot, so it's time to use the advantage of it again.

That thing with the imagination is so complex that i dont know exactly how to describe it with the correct words, maybe it's because i still dont have it enough clear in my head, but, what've i found is that if i know very well the object im into draw from my mind, i can to draw it and almost from any angle. The more information i know about the object i want to draw from mind, the easier it is.
The problem with the anatomy right now is the overal forms of the muscles i am learning. From the anatomy book, i cant absorb, see the muscles as i would in real life. If i had the chance to hold and see all the muscles of the femur, the information would be more valuable and it would be more effectice learning. With the book, i only see the muscles and theirs attachament, that's all i can learn, after that, i must work with storage of images (muscles) and puting it together, it's like puzzle where you pick random pieces and searching for the correct ones, but in more hardcore way..

Solutions: Get many references as i can, stick with them, study and fill the mind with the informations, after time it will get star to sumarize in the head and things are going to happen and i will start to understand bit by bit, hope. Finding a good zbrush anatomy model with detachable muscles for deeper explorations and understanding. (Have found this one, and it's pretty awesome! http://www.visualarium.com/anatomy-male-figure/ you can hide-unhide invidual muscles, dope! :)

Telohs: Always try to think about what you're doing when drawing from imagination. I sometimes tend to just shut down my brain when doodeling, not a good idea.

I know that very well, it's incredible annoying, whnever i try to draw seomthing from mind and i have no idea what i am after, it will not work. (We draw with the mind, not with the hand and so the thinking matters) I've found it helps alot if you do first thumbnail sketching and maybe before the thumbnail you write for yourself a analyzation (story) of what it should be and after that you start thumbnailing your ideas and when you'll find one with enough information, go for more detailed drawing and it should be alot easier and work. When drawing mechas, i never know at the start what i want them to look, so they start with doodling and progressing up. You can also use advantage of the lineweight, use very light-touch for doodling and when an idea pop up from random sketch, go progressively up adding more defined forms and weight.
Everyone one of us is from time to time hypocritical, i think it's because we cant keep our focus on all ways of thinking modes at once even if we try to. After time our mind will get tired and will want to drop from some, but they will still remain in us and will evolve, even if you dont use them so often ;)

Tastenkasten:

Thanks man :) I agree with you, that's why i didn't wanted to start with the painting before having a strong fundamentals with the drawing skills or, at least good enough to be ready to jump into next phase. I can draw, but not enough to be satisfied with myself, i miss alot stuff and have still long journey before that happens ;D Also, the painting approach is very different from drawing.The line of action is something i have to revisit and re-read again!

Jaikamat: never let it replace observation, otherwise things can turn too stiff

This scared me a bit lol, it's true that i dont measure as i did in the beginnings, it was because i didn't know about the structural drawing, so, i've drawed mostly by looking for angles, envelop, block-in, horizontals, verticals, diagonals. Now it's more structural, but always, when i make construction depending on the stuff that i want to draw, i will mostly measure to put stuff on the correct place. If it's drawing from mind without reference, i dont measure if i know the proportions well, but, if i use structure for drawing a selfportrait or head from reference and i want it to be exactly the same, i will measure for sure. Whenever i want something to look exactly as i see it or as it is, the measuring is important because it must have exactly the same proportions.

Thanks alot mate!

Forrestimel: comfort zone, finding it hard to find time to apply the knowledge, avoiding the applying.

So true with the comfort zone, there are many things i've never tried and i would love to, copying barque drawings, or making a drawing from life by using only comparative or sight-size method, makind exact same copy of photo for better control of copying images from references, drawing only with values and so on..

When (i) is near a sketch or drawing, it was done from imagination. Before i can start draw the fully leg from imagination, i need to be sure that i can draw first the bones and then the muscles. This is pretty hardcore and i think it needs to be done slowly step by step. So, i've started with the front side where you have quadriceps,adductors and more. Next, learning theirs attachement and then i'll start to draw it from mind. When i am able to, it's time to move on to the side view and lastly back view. After all of that, it's time take the refences of the leg and drop muscles on it to test myself if i understand locations and when i do, my mind will start to understand the overall forms and it will become alot easier and maybe i will break the ice. I want to try if it will work that way. Maybe my apporach is completely wrong ;D

In the book of Drawing lessons from great masters by Robert Beverly Hale, there is Anatomy chapter where he writes: For no one can draw the figre really well unless he can draw every part of the figure, in any position, out of his imagination. You cannot really draw these things unless you can draw them out of your head.

Crackedskull :

Will do, thanks mate! ;)

eclip-se

Postby warmics » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Nice work, I really like your bones and muscles studies!
warmics

Postby eclip-se » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:15 pm

warmics: Thanks mate!

eclip-se

Postby algenpfleger » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:04 am

oh damn dude, you really are serious about this aren't you *_*

digging the construction practice and stroke economy. it's very important that you keep thinking of the figure in this threedimensional way, howeveeeerr, you should definitely start doing gestures where you focus on movement, weight and flow. use a very simplified figure for this, doesn't have to be spatial, can be a stick figure with some circles even, important is that you start to understand movement and action, because without it your work will head into a dead end of nicely constructed box people.

and where's the colors? >:I

keep it up man, doing good!
algenpfleger
Harp Seal

Postby eclip-se » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Thanks Algen, about the color i am afraid to jump into before i dont have strong grasp with values :/

frazeta.jpg
frazeta.jpg (165.71 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

frazeta_steps.gif
frazeta_steps.gif (415.16 KiB) Viewed 2209 times

eclip-se

Postby Skyris » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:50 pm

Wow that is an insane among of sketches
Skyris

Postby eclip-se » Sat Aug 30, 2014 4:17 pm

Skyris: Mmmmm, thanks! :)

eclip-se

Postby Alinn » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:04 pm

The way you construct things is oddly beautiful, you're pen work is as well! Since you're a little afraid to jump into color, you might try doing studies in greyscale, then adding color with a new layer with the color setting. It sure helped me!
Alinn
Level 4: Crabeater Seal

Postby pankolano » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 pm

Well hello there, I have viewed your sketchbook a couple times and every time I see it I am impressed by your work. I am especially fond of your traditional studies - so much delicious stuff! the way you draw precise things in seemingly chaotic way. really cool. You are really dedicated to studying - like the hip joint studies you did. I really envy your line discipline since I have a problem with chicken scratching, when you draw in with pen its soooo clean and tidy! Anyways, it's always a pleasure for me to pop in this thread,

Live long and prosper!
pankolano

Postby eclip-se » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Alinn: Thank you Alinn, you've inspirable stuff man! ;) appreciate your words. Openly, i'm not into painting right now and if i do it from time to time the values will be the choice. Several times i've tried to use color while paintin, but it does make a big chaos for me and the only gain from it would be the right color picking, if painting from the reference.

Pankolano: Hey man! :) sorry for the late response, i dont visit this place much but every month i'll try to upload monthly stuff, otherwise you can find me on the facebook under Michal Macko with Akiras avatar. I really appreciate your joy from mine stuff, it's great to hear when someone likes or gets inspired ;)

Thanks folks!

eclip-se

Postby Luna » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Quickly run through your SB, great to see your logic in your study!
Like the art in imagination_study_valuestudy.jpg (336.31 KiB) the bones and the notes there are all helping with the strong studying! I will take a look again slower of your study you have done so far when my eyes getting better, they are really nice and some of them are Helpful as well! Thank you very much! ^_^
Keep going, also very inspiring to see you are working so hard! @v@
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby eclip-se » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:17 am

Luna: Thanks luna, lets both of us keep it up!

eclip-se

Postby Luna » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 pm

Yes! Let's both of us Keep it UP! 0v0//
You know what I want to say.... --> I LOVE YOUR SKETCHES! Brilliant jobs! Although they are just sketches, but very rich! If you have more fun and time. I suggest you make a story of your sketch! ^_^
brilliant jobs and I LOVE YOUR HARD WORKING! x
Luna
Level 14: Caspian Seal

Postby Jem » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:16 pm

yeah man beautiful work. I think you're falling into a security net of drawing in pen all the time. Drawing in biro pen is good it will increase your linework some what but if you want to draw in pen and increase your line work it should be done with a fine liner (They do this in art center) so every mark that you make has to be controlled exceptionally as for some reason drawing in a biro pen is easier than drawing in pencil probably due to it has a bigger tip also you consistently drawing in pen while you should be practicing your values. Aswell i don't know if you do but you should be drawing from life. If you consistantly draw from photographs and your understanding of the human anatomy is not 100% in terms of when this person moves i know precisely what the shapes of the interconnecting muscles are to use as a roadmap after the initial layin phase your hand eye coordination will not impress you. There is a big difference drawing from life compared to drawing from a photo. Understanding how light and form work in real life is different than working from a 2d image hannes and min yum and every one consistantly say draw from life.
nothin much to say critiques would be nice thank you. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2110&p=43490&sid=cf69ba35aebb7ca158befe1e2f048f9b#p43490
Jem

Postby Lynik » Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:53 pm

Seeing your sketchbook is hyping me up! Keep it up, dude!
Lynik

Return to Sketchbooks